What size vise do you have?

  • Ty Hoeffer
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2, 2001
      I am looking for a vise for my Grizzly g-1006 ( RF-30 Clone ). I have a
      little 3" screwless, and am looking to upgrade to an angle lock style vise.
      Whart size do you all have? I am considering a 4" or a 6". Though I do not
      look forward to lifting a 100 lb vise ( 6" ).

      Ty
      * Ty Hoeffer -- Network Analyst
      * UVa. Health System/Computing Services
      * pth3k at Virginia.EDU
      * http://warhammer.mcc.virginia.edu/ty
      *
      * "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
      * Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the decision." Ben Franklin 1759
    • Renner, Corey
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2, 2001
        Hopefully you only have to lift it once ;)

        I have a 4" POS that I want to replace. I've been looking at a 6", which
        seems big to me, but others have said it's about right. I ordered the 6"
        from Enco for $95 but canceled when they said that they wanted $60 to ship.
        I'm anxious to hear the replies you get since I'm still looking as well.

        cheers,

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 2, 2001
          I use a 6" Kurt clone on my mill/drill and it is a little big. I believe a 4
          inch would be better.

          >From: "Renner, Corey" <corey@...>
          >>Hopefully you only have to lift it once ;)
          >
          >I have a 4" POS that I want to replace. I've been looking at a 6", which
          >seems big to me, but others have said it's about right. I ordered the 6"
          >from Enco for $95 but canceled when they said that they wanted $60 to ship.
          >I'm anxious to hear the replies you get since I'm still looking as well.
          >
          >cheers,

        • Skip Evans
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 2, 2001
            Are you interested in selling the 4" inch vise? What does POS stand for?

            Skip...

            >From: "Renner, Corey" <corey@...>
            >>Hopefully you only have to lift it once ;)
            >
            >I have a 4" POS that I want to replace. I've been looking at a 6", which
            >seems big to me, but others have said it's about right. I ordered the 6"
            >from Enco for $95 but canceled when they said that they wanted $60 to ship.
            >I'm anxious to hear the replies you get since I'm still looking as well.
            >
            >cheers,

          • Renner, Corey
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 2, 2001
              POS = Piece-of-shit

              It came with some other tools that I bought. The jaws that were installed
              when I got it didn't fit correctly and wouldn't even seat right. I
              investigated and the mounting holes for the jaws were all drilled crooked
              and uneven. It actually looks like they were drilled from the sides at an
              angle with a hand drill. I retapped and made new jaws for it and when I
              disassembled it discovered that several of the threads in the sliding jaw
              were broken. Only about half of them are still intact. The "floor" of the
              vise that the workpiece sits on is uneven. I've attached a picture of it
              for your amusement.

              Still interested?

              Are you interested in selling the 4" inch vise? What does POS stand for?

              Skip...

              >From: "Renner, Corey" <corey@...>
              >>Hopefully you only have to lift it once ;)
              >
              >I have a 4" POS that I want to replace. I've been looking at a 6", which
              >seems big to me, but others have said it's about right. I ordered the 6"
              >from Enco for $95 but canceled when they said that they wanted $60 to ship.
              >I'm anxious to hear the replies you get since I'm still looking as well.
              >
              >cheers,

            • Skip Evans
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 3, 2001
                Well, I guess my decision is made.