Re: [mill_drill] consensus on rigid mounting of quill DRO?

  • bdmail
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 4, 2006
      Hey Man,

      I as long as the two pivot points are directly along, or equidistant from
      the centerline of the scale, you will not have an accuracy problem caused by
      the pivot.

      I have a scale mounted on a small mill, really done incorrectly honestly,
      and it runs perfectly, smoothly, and accurately.

      Best $17 I spent.

      Bernie

      > Now, I read that there is a potential problem with rigidly mounting
      > a quill DRO because even a tiny misalignment can put nasty stresses
      > on the DRO mechanism and cause it to self destruct. I can certainly
      > believe that there could be plenty of lateral quill slop on these
      > machines, and if it is up to the little DRO to fight the slop, it
      > will loose.
      >
      > I like the idea of a single point mount at each end of the DRO so it
      > could pivot slightly if needed. This would require some rather
      > precise pivot points to avoid lash.
    • corey renner
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 4, 2006
        I removed the depth stop from mine to make the mounting easier.  Never missed it.

        cheers,

        On 2/4/06, lkasdorf < lkasdorf@...> wrote:
        I was just looking at my dro mounting options and I believe I'll not
        mount to the sliding pointer on the depth stop for the reason that
        there is too much slop. The acme screw attaches to the quill with an
        E-clip, and you can wiggle the whole acme screw up and down
        probably .020". I know lots of folks have done it this way, but I
        think I'll do a rigid mount using little shock mounts to take up
        slight misalignment (especially since I have them laying about).

        I'll post pics when I do.

        p.s. does anybody ever use the depth stop?? I don't think I ever
        will. I'm considering removing it if it will make my mounting
        cleaner.

        LK

      • bob_kellock
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 4, 2006
          --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "lkasdorf" <lkasdorf@...> wrote:

          > While *attempting* to do some accurate work with my HF RF-30 last
          > night, I decided I really need to get a quill DRO ASAP.

          My solution, for an RF25 clone, can be seen in
          Z axis DRO mounting.doc at
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ShumaTech/files/

          You will need to open the file with Word to see the picture.

          Bob
        • Mark
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 4, 2006
            Corey, what size DRO did you use on your mill? What was the length?
            This looks like a really nice setup.

            Cheers, Mark

            --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, corey renner <vandal968@...> wrote:

            > I removed the depth stop from mine to make the mounting easier. Never
            > missed it.
            >
            > cheers,
          • corey renner
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 4, 2006
              Thanks.  It's the 6", although it's actually about 10.5" long and has about 7.25" of travel.

              cheers,

              On 2/4/06, Mark < gmiller243@...> wrote:
              Corey, what size DRO did you use on your mill? What was the length?
              This looks like a really nice setup.

              Cheers, Mark

            • Robert George
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 5, 2006
                --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "lkasdorf" <lkasdorf@...> wrote:

                > p.s. does anybody ever use the depth stop?? I don't think I ever
                > will. I'm considering removing it if it will make my mounting
                > cleaner.

                I took mine off as well, since my quill DRO uses the mounting point.

                I never miss it either.