Re: concencus on rigid mounting of quill DRO?

  • lkasdorf
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 4, 2006
      I was just looking at my dro mounting options and I believe I'll not
      mount to the sliding pointer on the depth stop for the reason that
      there is too much slop. The acme screw attaches to the quill with an
      E-clip, and you can wiggle the whole acme screw up and down
      probably .020". I know lots of folks have done it this way, but I
      think I'll do a rigid mount using little shock mounts to take up
      slight misalignment (especially since I have them laying about).

      I'll post pics when I do.

      p.s. does anybody ever use the depth stop?? I don't think I ever
      will. I'm considering removing it if it will make my mounting
      cleaner.

      LK

      > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "lkasdorf" <lkasdorf@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I plan to do mount something like here
      > >
      > > http://www.finelinehair.com/home/DRO_mill_z-axis.htm
      > >
      > > ...although my mill-drill is somewhat different. (mine looks
      exactly
      > > like the home page photo of this group).
      >
      > The machine on the link you listed is a RF-25, which has the depth
      stop
      > external to the spindle. That's why he was able to mount the DRO
      co-
      > planar with the depth stop.
      >
      > On the RF-30, like you have, the cleanest way is to mount the DRO
      on
      > the front face, and use the Z-axis slide to move the DRO head up
      and
      > down.
      >
      > Basically, you fabricate a replacement face-plate, and replace the
      > sheet-metal depth gage with a mounting plate for the DRO.
      >
      > There are several guys on Ebay who sell complete DRO kits with a
      > replacement faceplate for the RF-30 for $40 - $50.

    • bdmail
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 4, 2006
        Hey Man,

        I as long as the two pivot points are directly along, or equidistant from
        the centerline of the scale, you will not have an accuracy problem caused by
        the pivot.

        I have a scale mounted on a small mill, really done incorrectly honestly,
        and it runs perfectly, smoothly, and accurately.

        Best $17 I spent.

        Bernie

        > Now, I read that there is a potential problem with rigidly mounting
        > a quill DRO because even a tiny misalignment can put nasty stresses
        > on the DRO mechanism and cause it to self destruct. I can certainly
        > believe that there could be plenty of lateral quill slop on these
        > machines, and if it is up to the little DRO to fight the slop, it
        > will loose.
        >
        > I like the idea of a single point mount at each end of the DRO so it
        > could pivot slightly if needed. This would require some rather
        > precise pivot points to avoid lash.
      • corey renner

          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 4, 2006
            --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "lkasdorf" <lkasdorf@...> wrote:

            > While *attempting* to do some accurate work with my HF RF-30 last
            > night, I decided I really need to get a quill DRO ASAP.

            My solution, for an RF25 clone, can be seen in
            Z axis DRO mounting.doc at
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ShumaTech/files/

            You will need to open the file with Word to see the picture.

            Bob
          • Mark
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 4, 2006
              Corey, what size DRO did you use on your mill? What was the length?
              This looks like a really nice setup.

              Cheers, Mark

              --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, corey renner <vandal968@...> wrote:

              > I removed the depth stop from mine to make the mounting easier. Never
              > missed it.
              >
              > cheers,
            • corey renner
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 4, 2006
                Thanks.  It's the 6", although it's actually about 10.5" long and has about 7.25" of travel.

                cheers,

                On 2/4/06, Mark < gmiller243@...> wrote:
                Corey, what size DRO did you use on your mill? What was the length?
                This looks like a really nice setup.

                Cheers, Mark

              • Robert George
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 5, 2006
                  --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "lkasdorf" <lkasdorf@...> wrote:

                  > p.s. does anybody ever use the depth stop?? I don't think I ever
                  > will. I'm considering removing it if it will make my mounting
                  > cleaner.

                  I took mine off as well, since my quill DRO uses the mounting point.

                  I never miss it either.