Lifting mill

  • timdrn
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 20, 2006
      Hi all, new to this forum, and just took delivery of a rong fu 30, I
      got it off the pallet using a steel plate with a 5/8 lifting eye in
      the middle bolted to the column using the 2 8x1.25 threaded holes at
      the top, I am using grade 8 equivilant flange head bolts. Is it safe
      to lift the whole machine onto the stand this way? Theoretically the
      bolts are strong enough, but will the holes in the column hold up?
      Tim
    • Zort C. Brown
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 21, 2006
        Tim: I have a really old version of your mill so I don't know exactly
        what holes you are refering to. To be safe, I would remove the table
        from the mill to lighten it before lifting. You need to remove the
        table anyway to clean the ways of grit, burrs before you use it. Just
        because it's new doesn't mean the manufacturer didn't leave you some
        clean up work to do. Have fun the extra attention is worth it and it
        helps you to get aquainted and bond with your new baby. Zort

        --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "timdrn" <timo42@c...> wrote:

        > Hi all, new to this forum, and just took delivery of a rong fu 30, I
        > got it off the pallet using a steel plate with a 5/8 lifting eye in
        > the middle bolted to the column using the 2 8x1.25 threaded holes at
        > the top, I am using grade 8 equivilant flange head bolts. Is it safe
        > to lift the whole machine onto the stand this way? Theoretically the
        > bolts are strong enough, but will the holes in the column hold up?
        > Tim

      • mrfixit32068
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 21, 2006
          I droped a chain down thru the column to a cross bar under the mill
          and lifted it. No problem no strain.

          fixit

          --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Zort C. Brown"