Re: [mill_drill] Re: DRO from Spokane on the way

  • Glenn N
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 31, 2005
      Mine did the same thing till I used RTV to hold the connector solid.  It still occasionally locks up like that but only after not being used for extended periods.  Or perhaps it was just cold.  It has neve locked up in use .. just on initial turn on.  Ken recomended that I leave both the display and slides turned on all the time.
      I just recently came across a website that had a resister and capacitor soldered in place of the battery so it could be powered by the display.  Though I just bought 50 batteries on E-Bay for a couple of bucks so I gotta use em up somehow LOL.  At the current rate of use that is a 10 year supply :)
      Glenn
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 1, 2006
        You wouldn't happen to have a link to this website, would you?

        Mike

        > I just recently came across a website that had a resister and
        capacitor soldered in place of the battery so it could be powered by
        the display. Though I just bought 50 batteries on E-Bay for a couple
        of bucks so I gotta use em up somehow LOL. At the current rate of use
        that is a 10 year supply :)
        > Glenn
      • Glenn N
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 1, 2006
          Not much info on the battery elimination but a good read and since he did it I am sure I can when I find the time to play with it :)

          Glenn
          You wouldn't happen to have a link to this website, would you?

          Mike

          > I just recently came across a website that had a resister and
          capacitor soldered in place of the battery so it could be powered by
          the display.  Though I just bought 50 batteries on E-Bay for a couple
          of bucks so I gotta use em up somehow LOL.  At the current rate of use
          that is a 10 year supply :)
          > Glenn

        • n5kzw
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 2, 2006
            Battery elimination is also discussed at the www.shumatech.com site.

            Ed
            --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "miker557" <mikaelc@a...> wrote:

            > You wouldn't happen to have a link to this website, would you?
            >
            > Mike
            >

            > > I just recently came across a website that had a resister and
            > capacitor soldered in place of the battery so it could be powered by
            > the display. Though I just bought 50 batteries on E-Bay for a couple
            > of bucks so I gotta use em up somehow LOL. At the current rate of use
            > that is a 10 year supply :)
            > > Glenn

          • miker557
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 2, 2006
              Okay, looked at both sites, they both show an LM317 voltage
              regulator used to drop supply voltage to the scales down to 1.5
              volts. Hmmm, got me wondering if there were connections inside the
              Shars box for scale power.

              Guess I have to void the warrantee.

              Got the box open, pulled the circuit board out (very nicely made, by
              the way), and sure enough, there's connections to the scale cables
              for supplying 1.5 volts - if the parts were there, which they
              aren't. There's solder pads for what looks like 2 caps, three
              resistors, and a 3-pin device (probably a voltage regulator) on the
              top edge of the board just behind the cable connectors. Also places
              for three components (resistors?) at each cable connection.

              Lessee, what else is in here?

              Got pads for three LED's on the opposite end of the board from the
              cables - marked "In", "mm", and "Power". Well, those are fairly self-
              explanatory, and since the LCD lights up when the power is on, and
              clearly shows "inches" or "millimeters", they are superfluous.

              Got 2 positions for jumpers marked "1/2" that seem to allow the Y-
              and Z-axis to display half the value - great for converting
              diameters to radii, though not necessarily on the mill.

              There's a position on the Y-axis circuit for a 3-pin device,
              possibly a voltage regulator or (more likely) a transistor. No other
              markings.

              I guess the next step is to hook up a power supply and scope out the
              connections for power and ground. I'll keep you posted as to what I
              find.

              Mike

              P.S. Oh, by the way, Glenn, regarding that website you posted - that
              gentleman soldered 2 capacitors across the battery contacts of his
              scales, most likely to act as filters. The cables between the scales
              and the readouts would be good at picking up spurious signals,
              especially if they are not shielded.

              > Battery elimination is also discussed at the www.shumatech.com
              site.

              > Ed
              > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "miker557" <mikaelc@a...> wrote:
              > >

              > > You wouldn't happen to have a link to this website, would you?
              > >
              > > Mike
              > >

              > > > I just recently came across a website that had a resister and
              > > capacitor soldered in place of the battery so it could be
              powered by
              > > the display. Though I just bought 50 batteries on E-Bay for a
              couple
              > > of bucks so I gotta use em up somehow LOL. At the current rate
              of use
              > > that is a 10 year supply :)
              > > > Glenn

            • Glenn N
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 2, 2006
                Mike,
                Just finished reading the PDF file on the shumatech website and now know the caps are for filtering as you said and I suspected.  I was just about to head out to the shop and see what I could figure out about the readout and see if the wires are there to supply the power.  They used a 100uF and a .01uF cap to kill high and low frequency noise.  I think I have a couple LM317's out in the junk box so ... Play Time :)
                My readout also has some pads for lights to light the readout.  I was going to put lights in but added more light to the shop and "cured" the problem that way.  I heard that the newer readouts have the lighted display?

                Glenn
                Okay, looked at both sites, they both show an LM317 voltage
                regulator used to drop supply voltage to the scales down to 1.5
                volts. Hmmm, got me wondering if there were connections inside the
                Shars box for scale power.

                Guess I have to void the warrantee.

                Got the box open, pulled the circuit board out (very nicely made, by
                the way), and sure enough, there's connections to the scale cables
                for supplying 1.5 volts - if the parts were there, which they
                aren't. There's solder pads for what looks like 2 caps, three
                resistors, and a 3-pin device (probably a voltage regulator) on the
                top edge of the board just behind the cable connectors. Also places
                for three components (resistors?) at each cable connection.

                Lessee, what else is in here?

                Got pads for three LED's on the opposite end of the board from the
                cables - marked "In", "mm", and "Power". Well, those are fairly self-
                explanatory, and since the LCD lights up when the power is on, and
                clearly shows "inches" or "millimeters", they are superfluous.

                Got 2 positions for jumpers marked "1/2" that seem to allow the Y-
                and Z-axis to display half the value - great for converting
                diameters to radii, though not necessarily on the mill.

                There's a position on the Y-axis circuit for a 3-pin device,
                possibly a voltage regulator or (more likely) a transistor. No other
                markings.

                I guess the next step is to hook up a power supply and scope out the
                connections for power and ground. I'll keep you posted as to what I
                find.

                Mike

                P.S. Oh, by the way, Glenn, regarding that website you posted - that
                gentleman soldered 2 capacitors across the battery contacts of his
                scales, most likely to act as filters. The cables between the scales
                and the readouts would be good at picking up spurious signals,
                especially if they are not shielded.

                > Battery elimination is also discussed at the www.shumatech.com
                site.

                > Ed
                > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "miker557" <mikaelc@a...> wrote:
                > >

                > > You wouldn't happen to have a link to this website, would you?
                > >
                > > Mike
                > >

                > > > I just recently came across a website that had a resister and
                > > capacitor soldered in place of the battery so it could be
                powered by
                > > the display.  Though I just bought 50 batteries on E-Bay for a
                couple
                > > of bucks so I gotta use em up somehow LOL.  At the current rate
                of use
                > > that is a 10 year supply :)
                > > > Glenn

              • miker557
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 2, 2006
                  The LCD's on my readout box are lit, and come on whenever the unit
                  is powered up.

                  Since my last post I have talked to a friend of mine who is more
                  familiar with power supplie than I am, concerning the apparent
                  arrangement of the (unused) circuit on my Shars box. It is
                  acceptable to raise the ground potential up from 0 to 3.5 volts,
                  giving a total voltage across the + and - pins at the scales of 1.5
                  volts ..... but ....

                  There are 4 pins connecting the scales on the display box; battery -
                  , data, clock, and battery +. The data and clock lines send pulses
                  to indicate the value of the measurement, which are either low
                  (below 0.2 volts) or high (above 1.3 volts). The thing is, these
                  voltages are measured from ground (that is, zero volts). While they
                  would be in reference to the ground side of the scales power input,
                  if that ground id actually 3.5 volts above the ground used by the
                  display box, then the display box *might* not be able to correctly
                  interpret those signals (and if it is set up to receive a maximum of
                  1.5 volts on a data line, then that 3.5-5.0 volt signal *might* be
                  enough to damage something.

                  Hmmm ......

                  I'm going to make a 1.5 volt power supply according to the
                  schematics from the Shumac web site, and see about tying it into my
                  display box (by cutting the traces on the circuit board to isolate
                  that area from the 5-volts the box uses). I'll let you folks know
                  how it turns out.

                  Mike

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 2, 2006
                    Mike,
                    I agree, after looking over the traces and measuring a few things I think cutting a line and adding a daughter board with a regulator and filter would about do it.  May need the caps in the scales still though.

                    I believe my LCD's have the backlight in them but they just didn't wire them up.  A schematic would be a real time saver :)  I looked into hooking them up awhile back but didn't do it for some reason I have now forgotten.  I guess I need to take some pics and post em so we can compare notes.  I need to find out what voltage the backlights take too.  I assume +5vdc would be good but :)

                    Glenn

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 3, 2006
                      On my display, the LCD's are on daughter boards which are connected to
                      the main board by a section of grey ribbon cable. The connections for
                      the backlights are somewhere in there (and, of course, not labelled).

                      Mike

                      > Mike,
                      > I agree, after looking over the traces and measuring a few things I
                      think cutting a line and adding a daughter board with a regulator and
                      filter would about do it. May need the caps in the scales still
                      though.

                      > I believe my LCD's have the backlight in them but they just didn't
                      wire them up. A schematic would be a real time saver :) I looked
                      into hooking them up awhile back but didn't do it for some reason I
                      have now forgotten. I guess I need to take some pics and post em so
                      we can compare notes. I need to find out what voltage the backlights
                      take too. I assume +5vdc would be good but :)

                      > Glenn

                    • Glenn N
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 4, 2006
                        My display is the same.  They just didn't hook up the lights or perhaps didn't install the components for running the lights.  There are a lot of unfilled holes in there :)

                        Glenn
                        On my display, the LCD's are on daughter boards which are connected to
                        the main board by a section of grey ribbon cable. The connections for
                        the backlights are somewhere in there (and, of course, not labelled).

                        Mike

                        > Mike,
                        > I agree, after looking over the traces and measuring a few things I
                        think cutting a line and adding a daughter board with a regulator and
                        filter would about do it.  May need the caps in the scales still
                        though.

                        > I believe my LCD's have the backlight in them but they just didn't
                        wire them up.  A schematic would be a real time saver :)  I looked
                        into hooking them up awhile back but didn't do it for some reason I
                        have now forgotten.  I guess I need to take some pics and post em so
                        we can compare notes.  I need to find out what voltage the backlights
                        take too.  I assume +5vdc would be good but :)

                        > Glenn

                      • miker557
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 5, 2006
                          There's a name on the circuit board, "Guanglu". I looked them up on
                          Google, it's a company in China that makes calipers and measuring
                          devices (big surprise). Not sure if they build the whole thing
                          there, or simply supply the board to Shars, as this particular unit
                          is not listed on their web page. I did leave them an e-mail (Guanglu
                          and Shars both) asking them about the missing components on the
                          board, and the possibility of finding out what's supposed to go
                          there (if anything). I'll let you know what (if anything) they say.

                          Mike

                          > My display is the same. They just didn't hook up the lights or
                          perhaps didn't install the components for running the lights. There
                          are a lot of unfilled holes in there :)

                          > Glenn

                        • Glenn N
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 21, 2006
                            Mike,
                            Did you ever hear back on prints or parts?
                            Glenn
                            There's a name on the circuit board, "Guanglu". I looked them up on
                            Google, it's a company in China that makes calipers and measuring
                            devices (big surprise). Not sure if they build the whole thing
                            there, or simply supply the board to Shars, as this particular unit
                            is not listed on their web page. I did leave them an e-mail (Guanglu
                            and Shars both) asking them about the missing components on the
                            board, and the possibility of finding out what's supposed to go
                            there (if anything). I'll let you know what (if anything) they say.

                            Mike

                            > My display is the same.  They just didn't hook up the lights or
                            perhaps didn't install the components for running the lights.  There
                            are a lot of unfilled holes in there :)

                            > Glenn

                          • mikaelc
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 21, 2006

                              Never did. I have the schematic for the 1.5 volt power supply from the other units, and so when I get some time I’m going to build up a unit on a daughter board, cut some traces on the main board and wire it in. I’ll post pictures when I get it done.

                              Mike

                              Did you ever hear back on prints or parts?

                              Glenn

                              There's a name on the circuit board, "Guanglu". I looked them up on
                              Google, it's a company in China that makes calipers and measuring
                              devices (big surprise). Not sure if they build the whole thing
                              there, or simply supply the board to Shars, as this particular unit
                              is not listed on their web page. I did leave them an e-mail (Guanglu
                              and Shars both) asking them about the missing components on the
                              board, and the possibility of finding out what's supposed to go
                              there (if anything). I'll let you know what (if anything) they say.

                              Mike

                              > My display is the same.  They just didn't hook up the lights or
                              perhaps didn't install the components for running the lights.  There
                              are a lot of unfilled holes in there :)

                              > Glenn

                            • Glenn N
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jan 21, 2006
                                Thanks Mike,
                                That is the direction I am heading too.  Just wanted to be sure you hadn't had some "startling revelation" that would save some riggin.
                                Glenn