Re: [mill_drill] Hi all, new here

  • cmiller231@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 5, 2005
      In a message dated 12/6/2005 12:18:57 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, cncdarren@... writes:
      y soon i will be making a purchase of a new mill and possably lathe
      also. I am either looking at getting a HF or wholesale tool mill drill
      and a 9x20 lathe or going with a Rong Fu 45 mill and skipping on the
      lathe. While i'd like to get the mill and the lathe the square column
      RF45 is very enticing but i'm trying to stay around a $1500 budget. so
      I guess I need some advice do I go with the mill drill and lathe or
      the RF45? I eventually will have a lathe, my dad has a smithy 1220xl
      that he is eventually going give to me. However I will be moving soon
      and wont have access to it.

      Thanks
      Darren
      Darren  You will be happier with the sq. column mill, if you can at all aford it .I have a round column , its a PITA as you never have the head set  for the right height  to r enove tools with out lossening the head stock  and therby loseing head stock position.   Chris
    • Philip Burman
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 6, 2005
        Unless you have a specific need you have it the wrong way round.
        Lathe first, mill second. At least thats the normally accepted
        sequence. You can mill with a lathe, not so easy to turn with a mill.

        Regards
        Phil Burman

        --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Darren" <cncdarren@h...> wrote:

        > Very soon i will be making a purchase of a new mill and possably
        lathe
        > also. I am either looking at getting a HF or wholesale tool mill
        drill
        > and a 9x20 lathe or going with a Rong Fu 45 mill and skipping on
        the
        > lathe. While i'd like to get the mill and the lathe the square
        column
        > RF45 is very enticing but i'm trying to stay around a $1500
        budget. so
        > I guess I need some advice do I go with the mill drill and lathe
        or
        > the RF45? I eventually will have a lathe, my dad has a smithy
        1220xl
        > that he is eventually going give to me. However I will be moving
        soon
        > and wont have access to it.
        >
        > Thanks
        > Darren

      • Phil Teague
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 6, 2005
          --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Darren" <cncdarren@h...> wrote:

          > Very soon i will be making a purchase of a new mill and possably lathe
          > also. I am either looking at getting a HF or wholesale tool mill drill
          > and a 9x20 lathe or going with a Rong Fu 45 mill and skipping on the
          > lathe. While i'd like to get the mill and the lathe the square column
          > RF45 is very enticing but i'm trying to stay around a $1500 budget. so
          > I guess I need some advice do I go with the mill drill and lathe or
          > the RF45? I eventually will have a lathe, my dad has a smithy 1220xl
          > that he is eventually going give to me. However I will be moving soon
          > and wont have access to it.
          >
          > Thanks
          > Darren

          I guess that answering a question like this depends on what you plan
          on making. There are projects that might only require the use of a
          mill. If that is the case you might want the RF 45, although a Rong Fu
          might be a little over your budget (
          http://www.emachinetool.com/new/catalog/vertical.cfm?DestinationCategory=Vertical%20Mill&ProductID=697
          ). If you are planning on making a model engine, as an example, it may
          be a real challenge to make one with only a mill. You might note that
          many HSMs would start with a lathe because you can generally use them
          to mill with while turning or threading something with a mill is
          difficult. Have you considered a larger lathe such as a 12 x 36 as a
          starting point?

          In any case I would let your dad keep the 1220XL.
        • CNC Darren
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 6, 2005
            I hear ya on the 1220XL, I know its not the greatest but at this point its all I have and has done ok for what I needed to do.
            As far as what I want to do in my shop, first on the list is a remake of the cnc router that I built, eventually i would like to get into steam engines mabye even some IC. I also would like to cnc the mill also. I found this mill http://www.wttool.com/p/3006-0080 is that not a rong fu? Altho it tops out my budget, there would be no shipping on it as I would be able to pick it up. I'm still leaning heavly to the mill drill and 9x20 lathe side, knowing that they both have thier short commings but i would have the machinery to get me up and going.

            Thanks for the advice,

            Darren

            > Very soon i will be making a purchase of a new mill and possably lathe
            > also. I am either looking at getting a HF or wholesale tool mill drill
            > and a 9x20 lathe or going with a Rong Fu 45 mill and skipping on the
            > lathe. While i'd like to get the mill and the lathe the square column
            > RF45 is very enticing but i'm trying to stay around a $1500 budget. so
            > I guess I need some advice do I go with the mill drill and lathe or
            > the RF45? I eventually will have a lathe, my dad has a smithy 1220xl
            > that he is eventually going give to me. However I will be moving soon
            > and wont have access to it.
            >
            > Thanks
            > Darren

            I guess that answering a question like this depends on what you plan
            on making. There are projects that might only require the use of a
            mill. If that is the case you might want the RF 45, although a Rong Fu
            might be a little over your budget (
            http://www.emachinetool.com/new/catalog/vertical.cfm?DestinationCategory=Vertical%20Mill&ProductID=697
            ). If you are planning on making a model engine, as an example, it may
            be a real challenge to make one with only a mill. You might note that
            many HSMs would start with a lathe because you can generally use them
            to mill with while turning or threading something with a mill is
            difficult. Have you considered a larger lathe such as a 12 x 36 as a
            starting point?

            In any case I would let your dad keep the 1220XL.

          • tyranorbis
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 9, 2005
              --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "CNC Darren" <cncdarren@h...> wrote:

              > I hear ya on the 1220XL, I know its not the greatest but at this
              point its all I have and has done ok for what I needed to do.
              > As far as what I want to do in my shop, first on the list is a
              remake of the cnc router that I built, eventually i would like to get
              into steam engines mabye even some IC. I also would like to cnc the
              mill also. I found this mill http://www.wttool.com/p/3006-0080 is that
              not a rong fu? Altho it tops out my budget, there would be no shipping
              on it as I would be able to pick it up. I'm still leaning heavly to
              the mill drill and 9x20 lathe side, knowing that they both have thier
              short commings but i would have the machinery to get me up and going.

              > Thanks for the advice,
              >
              > Darren

              that wt mill isnt a true rong fu its a clone
              i have read good and bad about them
              so if you dont get a lemon and dont expect it to be as precise as a
              12k and up machine you should do fine

              as for that 9x20 lathe have you checked out lathemaster lathes from
              what i have read about them they are much better quality then most
              others http://www.lathemaster.com/ and a yahoo group
              i hope some of this is helpfull to you