R-8 Problem ...

  • Lou Jackson
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2005
      I recently purchased a set of R-8 collets, but found that they do not
      fit my mill. Either the locating pin inside the quill is too long, or
      the depth of the groove in the collets is too shallow. I don't have an
      easy way to measure the pin length, but I would guesstimate that it is
      around 0.075" long. The depth of the groove in the collets is
      approximately 0.05".

      I suspect that the groove depth is too shallow; however, before
      investing in a new set of collets, I would like to impose on someone
      to measure the depth of the groove in their set of collets so I can
      determine if I have a bad set, or if I will need to grind down the
      locating pin somehow.

      Thanks,
      Lou Jackson
    • Allen Sparks
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 2005
        The dia. of the back end of the collet should be .950
        +/- and the slot should be about .070 deep.

        It's been my experience that the dia. of the rear end
        of collets will vary some. I just polish them down
        till they fit my spindle.

        If you have any R8 tooling that fits your spindle,
        then modify your collets to fit.

        --- Lou Jackson <focusknobs@...> wrote:

        > I recently purchased a set of R-8 collets, but found
        > that they do not
        > fit my mill. Either the locating pin inside the
        > quill is too long, or
        > the depth of the groove in the collets is too
        > shallow. I don't have an
        > easy way to measure the pin length, but I would
        > guesstimate that it is
        > around 0.075" long. The depth of the groove in the
        > collets is
        > approximately 0.05".
        >
        > I suspect that the groove depth is too shallow;
        > however, before
        > investing in a new set of collets, I would like to
        > impose on someone
        > to measure the depth of the groove in their set of
        > collets so I can
        > determine if I have a bad set, or if I will need to
        > grind down the
        > locating pin somehow.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Lou Jackson

        Just $16.99/mo. or less.
        dsl.yahoo.com
      • leasingham_connelly
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 2, 2005
          --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Lou Jackson" <focusknobs@m...>
          wrote:

          > I recently purchased a set of R-8 collets, but found that they do
          not
          > fit my mill. Either the locating pin inside the quill is too long,
          or
          > the depth of the groove in the collets is too shallow. I don't
          have an
          > easy way to measure the pin length, but I would guesstimate that
          it is
          > around 0.075" long. The depth of the groove in the collets is
          > approximately 0.05".
          >
          > I suspect that the groove depth is too shallow; however, before
          > investing in a new set of collets, I would like to impose on
          someone
          > to measure the depth of the groove in their set of collets so I
          can
          > determine if I have a bad set, or if I will need to grind down the
          > locating pin somehow.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Lou Jackson

          R8 collet dimensions in the files section of this group!

          Martin
        • Pete
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 2, 2005
            I'm guessing it's one of the cheap sets from Enco or Harbor freight?
            What I found with mine, was that the keyway at the drawbar end of the
            collets needed to be cleaned up a bit, it was like they were all
            dropped and the ends of the keyway were peened over slightly-
            preventing the collet from seating.

            about ten seconds with a file took care of that.

            Look closely at the sides of the keyway at the very end, it just took
            about 3 strokes with the file to clear the burr.

            Pete

            wrote:

            > I recently purchased a set of R-8 collets, but found that they do
            not
            > fit my mill. Either the locating pin inside the quill is too long,
            or
            > the depth of the groove in the collets is too shallow. I don't have
            an
            > easy way to measure the pin length, but I would guesstimate that it
            is
            > around 0.075" long. The depth of the groove in the collets is
            > approximately 0.05".
            >
            > I suspect that the groove depth is too shallow; however, before
            > investing in a new set of collets, I would like to impose on someone
            > to measure the depth of the groove in their set of collets so I can
            > determine if I have a bad set, or if I will need to grind down the
            > locating pin somehow.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Lou Jackson

          • Mario L Vitale
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 2, 2005
              Lou,
              When I got my HF geared head MD a few years back, I had the same problem.
              In my case, the pin inside was too long (or not seated completely). Several
              others on this group have had the same problem and if you 'slog' thru the
              messages, you'll probably find several, but some say they were able to reach
              up inside with a needle nose pliers and pull the pin out, file off the end
              and re-insert it. (I couldn't do that).
              Some just took a small file and carefully filed off the end inside the
              spindle. (Be very careful!).
              I actually made a wooden dowel, just under the collet O.D. and machined a
              groove along its length. The groove was sized so that a length of a flat
              pattern file sat in it with the surface of the file about.040" below the
              O.D. of the dowel. I used this tool to file off the end of the pin, a few
              strokes at a time , until the collets slipped in.
              This approach, while a little time consuming, did manage to prevent
              clumsy me from 'buggering up' the spindle I.D.

              Mario