Re: Can the RF-30 clone be easily taken apart for moving?

  • James Hudson
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 9, 2005
      I recently took my RF31 apart so it could be moved. I am storing it on
      a trailer until we actually make the move back to the Midwest.
      I took the motor off. One guy can handle that.
      I took both of the tables off. Sprayed them down with Boeshield and
      wrapped them in stretchwrap and bubble wrap. Then put in a box. Best
      to have two guys to handle them.
      I then put the head down sprayed the ways and wrapped everything else
      up. Three of us lifted it off the stand and put it on one of those HD
      plastic dollies from HF. Rolled it onto the truck and there it sets.
      The head can also be removed to further divide up the weight. Two guys
      can then handle the head and the base by themselves.
      If you wanted you could even remove the column.
      Hope this helps you.
      James

      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "velbloud" <velbloud@y...> wrote:

      > Hi guys,
      > I am thinking about purchasing one of the RF-30 clones, but at the
      > moment I do not have a way of lifting/hoisting the machine. Moreover I
      > live on the first floor (don't have a garage). I might be also moving
      > overseas soon and I was wondering how easy it is to take the machine
      > apart for moving and how heavy the parts are (let's say head, column,
      > table). Any info and thoughts are welcome as well as machine
      > recommendations.

    • William Abernathy
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 9, 2005
        velbloud wrote:
        > Hi guys,
        > I am thinking about purchasing one of the RF-30 clones, but at the
        > moment I do not have a way of lifting/hoisting the machine. Moreover I
        > live on the first floor (don't have a garage). I might be also moving
        > overseas soon and I was wondering how easy it is to take the machine
        > apart for moving and how heavy the parts are (let's say head, column,
        > table). Any info and thoughts are welcome as well as machine
        > recommendations.

        Dunno about the parts, but that appears to have been answered already. You can
        also move the whole kit as a unit if you have an engine hoist. You can rent
        these from your local indstrial U-Haul.

        --William A.
      • upicman
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 10, 2005
          Pep Boys has one (2-Ton) on sale for $109 after rebate.

          I bought one to help assemble mine. Now I don't have to call a
          friend and ruin both of our backs!

          It folds up to approx. 2' x 4' when you aren't using it, so it lives
          in the basement with me.

          Rich

          --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, William Abernathy <william@i...>