Re: HF 42827 basic questions

  • Paul Huffman
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2005
      Wow Rich, big machine for a pen maker =8^). I sent you a PM.
      Paul in OKC
    • Robert George
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 7, 2005
        --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "C.S. Mo" <cs@v...> wrote:
        [From Richard]
        > > But how do I get the tables to operate smoothly? Right now, they
        > > are stiff.
        > >
        > > I presume there is packing grease down there under the tables also.

        You'll find a highly abrasive mix of cosmoline, casting sand, and cast
        iron swarf under the table (and in the gear head and quill assembly).

        > > Is it best to take them apart completely, clean and lube, then
        > > adjust the gibs?

        > Yes.

        I agree -- you definitely want to take the table off before you start
        moving it around and grinding that mess into the table ways, and
        abrading the x/y acme nuts.

        After you clean and oil everything, move the table around without
        completely re-assembling (you don't need to put the roll pins back
        in, for example) and adjust the gibs and the backlash screws on the
        acme nuts until the table moves smoothly.

        Robert