mt3 or r8

  • pegasconcepts
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 3, 2005
      Hello group. Could use some input from you. Am interested in
      purchasing a #33686 floor model from HF. Decent price at $500 w/a few
      handles missing. Being new to machining, are these models mt3 or r8?
      Folks at the store didn't even know what I was referring to. Am I
      correct the r8 will have a keyway in the taper, where the mt3 will
      not? Appreciate any help, Thanks.
    • Jerry Smith
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 3, 2005
        You are right on your observations

        Jerry

        --- pegasconcepts <rrichmond1@...> wrote:

        > Hello group. Could use some input from you. Am
        > interested in
        > purchasing a #33686 floor model from HF. Decent
        > price at $500 w/a few
        > handles missing. Being new to machining, are these
        > models mt3 or r8?
        > Folks at the store didn't even know what I was
        > referring to. Am I
        > correct the r8 will have a keyway in the taper,
        > where the mt3 will
        > not? Appreciate any help, Thanks.

        > --------------------~-->
        > Yahoo! your home page

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/9rHolB/TM

      • Joe Smith
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 3, 2005

          Sounds like a good deal to me especially if in includes the 90 day warranty.

          Joe Smith

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 3, 2005
            pegasconcepts,
            The HF 33686 does have an R-8 taper in the spindle. That's a good thing!
            There are tons of inexpensive (and expensive) tools and accessories
            available for R-8 spindles.
            The R-8 accessory (like a collet) will have the keyway in it's O.D. The
            spindle has a small round pin protruding from the I.D. of the spindle to
            index the collet, or whatever. It would probably be a good idea to go ahead
            and buy an inexpensive set of R-8 collets right away. You won't be able to
            do much with the machine without them.
            One word of caution. Several owners of HF machines with R-8 spindles
            have found that they could not install and fully seat a standard R-8 collet
            in their new machine. It seems that, on many of these machines, the pin that
            I mentioned, on the spindle I.D. is either too long or not seated all the
            way, and it bottoms out on the keway in the collet.
            The pin is located about an inch or so up inside the spindle (get a
            mirror and flashlight to see it). Hopefully you won't have this problem, but
            if you do, the fix is to take a small file and CAREFULLY file off the end of
            the pin untill the collet slides all the way up into the spindle. Be very
            carefull not to damage the inside of the spindle.
            I'd say you got a great deal. Most of the stuff that got "lost" was
            probably knobs, and hand wheels... stuff that's easily replaceable.

            Congratulations and good luck,

            Mario