gear head temps

  • tppjr
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 19, 2005
      Those of you running gearhead bench mills, any idea of the head temps? Mine
      is running hotter than I would like. After only running for about 45 min it
      was up to 140deg and climbing and not working very hard either.

      Thanks,

      Thomas
    • Mario L Vitale
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 19, 2005
        Thomas,
        That sounds quite hot! 140 is close to the "threshold of pain", isn't it?
        Mine doesn't get over around 90 -100 degrees F... although I don't think
        I've ever had it running under load for 45 minutes straight (if that's what
        you mean).
        I'm not sure what could cause it to get that hot, unless it's actually
        the motor that is getting hot and the head is acting like a heat sink.

        Mario
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 20, 2005
          I'm about the same as Mario temperature wise. I've never run mine
          for such a long time either though. Maybe 15 to 20 mins at full
          speed. Is the gear box noisy at full speed (do you feel like ear
          deffenders might be a good idea). Are the spindle bearings to tight.
          If its getting to hot with no load possibly it is due to all that
          oil being churned over. Is the gear box filled to the correct level,
          is it the right viscosity.

          Can you differential where the highest temperatures actually are.

          Regards
          Phil