Mill stand - oil collection

  • thumbtrap43
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 12, 2005
      Hi folks, made me a stand for my RF-31, it's a 30x34x30 cube (ok, ok,
      rectangular parallel piped) made of 2" sq tube, with two tube supports
      running front to back across the top spaced with the outside edges of
      the base, and a 16ga pan bent up at a 45, welded up corners. Got my
      feet from McMaster car.

      I messed up a few points in construction though, and I'm looking for
      some suggestions. 1) Drains - I already drilled for sink drains, an
      idea I no longer like, and causes a problem with #2. They're not flush
      or recessed, and it just doesn't sound good to me now. 2) I messed up
      spacing the top support on the outside of the base instead of the bolt
      holes. This resulted in the bolt holes (not drilled yet) lining up on
      the inside edges of the tube if I just square it the way it's laid
      out. The easiest fix seemed to be just line up one pair of bolt holes
      in the middle of one tube, and weld some angle in place to give the
      other pair a hold. Done (but not pretty). Sink drain is now in the
      way, and has to go (at least the one.

      I'm thinking now I should try to plug my sink drain holes, put a shim
      (16ga maybe) across the front two holes, raise the rear feet to
      level the base, and put a drain in one corner at the very front edge
      of the pan. I looked at the grizzly stand, and it looks like there's a
      drain in the right front corner but I'm not sure how it's made. Most
      of the ideas I've come up with sit proud of the surface and means I'll
      always have quite a bit of trapped oil in the pan.

      So basically I'm looking for suggestions on a recessed drain, and a
      sanity check to make sure the intentional tilt and shim is not a
      royally stupid idea (I read a lot of the older levelling threads). I'm
      also open to suggestions to just quit piddling around and be done with
      it if that's what I need to hear :-)