Z-Axis Drive - - Tips and Suggestions

  • mayfieldtm
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2005
      Here is a question I posted at the "CNCZONE" Forum, yesterday, with
      no takers. Maybe I'll have better luck here.

      I'm about ready to start construction of a Z-Axis Servo Drive
      Assembly from plans purchased from Jeff Davis at www.homecnc.info .
      I'll be installing it in a mill/dill (round column type) from Grizzly.

      Has anyone built this, and have any tips, suggestions or
      modifications, that I should first consider?

      Looking over the plans, Jeff, seems to have thought of everything and
      has come up with a very nice design.

      My only concern at this point is to possibly come up with some way to
      be able to maintain (or easily change over to) the manual operation
      of the Drill.
      Coming up with some way of disengaging the Z-Axis Drive from the
      Spindle Clamp should be easy enough, its that blasted Return Spring
      that has me stumped, rather it might fight the Z-Axis Drive or should
      have some sort of disengagement, also?

      Tom M.
    • Rupert Evans
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2005
        The problem with the return spring is that it is attached to the
        horizontal shaft and not directly to the quill. There is considerable
        slop between the rack on the quill and the spur gear which mates with
        it. I removed the return spring and substituted a gas spring. It
        pushes up on two 1/4" rods which are attached to the bottom end of the
        quill.
        Rupert