Re: Need help selecting mill/drill

  • Phil Teague
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2005
      Todd:

      Either one will drill and bore holes. Which one is better? I don't
      know. You might assume that paying more for one would get you some
      improvements somewhere, however either one will drill and bore holes
      quite well. You may notice that Grizzly sells a model, G3358, which is
      virtually identical to the WT 3006-005 for $126 more than the WT
      version. This mill (or one which also looks also exactly the same) is
      also sold by Harbour Freight (and for that matter by Enco) as the
      33686 for as low as $799. I took the low road with the HF and spent
      difference on a power feed and a DRO.

      If you do have problems or questions after you buy one, Grizzly
      certainly provides better support than HF (especially phone support
      questions). I don't have experience with WT to compare.

      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Todd Wright" <mcleancopuller@y...>
      wrote:
      > I'm looking at purchasing a mill/drill for my home shop and have
      > narrowed my choices down to two models and need some help from some of
      > you that have more hands on with the two models.
      >
      > The two models I'm considering are the:
      > Grizzly G1006 and the Wholesale Tool 3006-0005
      >
      > From what I have been able to find out is that the Grizzly is made by
      > Rong Fu while the WT is a mainland chinese knock off. The Grizzly has
      > a larger table (9.5" x 32") vs the WT (8.25" x 28.75"). Other than
      > that, I can't tell much difference. From what I've been able to learn
      > from others is that the Grizzly is probably a better made machine;
      > but, is it worth the extra $350? I will be using the machine for
      > mainly drilling and boring with some machining of aluminum. Nothing
      > particularly difficult or requiring exceptional accuracy. Any help
      > would be greatly appreciated.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Todd
    • shooterke99
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 18, 2005
        ---although the gear head mills are nice,as you can change speeds much
        easeyer,i would stick to belt drive. much more forgiving if you have a
        jam,and less expensive to repair. in short a belt can slip,a gear will
        not.both my lathe and mill are belt drive.