Sharing Ideas, etc

  • Randy
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
      I was thinking that maybe we could try to , say once a week ..
      try to come up with a useful tidbit of info on some aspect of machining
      above and beyond the normal exchange of info ..

      Could be something from a techie book on milling ..
      Or maybe something that you were trying to figure out how to do
      in the shop and it was a tough thing to figure out and finally you did ..
      And you think it might be useful to everyone else in the group ??

      One of the reason I suggest this is I, after being in several machining
      forums, have noticed that there are many "lurkers" .. that just
      "copy the mail" as us Ham Radio folks would say ...   but they normally
      don't pipe in to the discussions ...

      Sooooo .. I figured for them and us that do actively participate in the
      exchange of info .. that this might a nice thing ... especially during slow times ..

      The TIDBIT I have is something from the Travers catalog ... ( lots of techie stuff
      buried in there ) ...

      Its From T&O on cutting applications

      The reason I find this one interesting is that , being fairly new to the aspects of milling,
      I wondered how to select the right diameter mill for the job ...
      Like if I was milling a 5/8" aluminum plate , and milling the end of it ...
      ( not peripheral milling ) ; what milling diameter was the  best .. ?
      I could mill with a 5/8" mill and hope it gets it all ..  or make two passes ..
      and of course smaller mills and more passes would work , but take more time ..

      OR .. I could use a bigger mill ...  now .. my carbide end mills and face mills go up to
      like 2.5" in diameter ..  that would certainly do it ... but is it wrong? is  there a "proper diameter??

      Well heres what I read ...  and please ..  if you have thoughts or questions ... send them on into the list..
      Its how we learn ..

      QUOTE from T&O:

      " Cutter Width Selection
      Try to avoid engaging the entire width of any milling tool
      ( although this cannot be avoided when cutting a slot )
      A good rule of thumb is to only engage 2/3rds of a cutter width.
      Use climb milling so that the chip is "thick" at the entrance and "thin"
      at exit."

      Now I KNOW .. it has been advised in the past for us with the smaller
      mills NOT to climb mill .. ( if I'm not mistaken , please correct me if I'm wrong )
      because it tends to cause chatter more easily and pulls the workpiece up into the
      cutter if not in a rigid setup ...

      One of their other tips says that the preferred method for indexable insert tools
      is also to climb mill ..  now .. I do climb mill ... but I just take smaller cuts...
      And as I think most of us know ... you can tell by the sound and by looking at the
      finish, whether the cut was too deep ...

      Anyways...   Hope this was helpful to someone ..
      and I hope it sparks interest to share useful tidbits
      with the group ..

      As I learned not too long ago on here .. right or wrong ..  we all end up learning
      something in the end ..  and thats the main thing ...

      Randy

    • gmiller243
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
        Randy, this kind of info helps a dumb as a rock newbie like me more
        than I can say. I'm flying by the seat of my pants here and anytime
        some little tidbit like this shows up, it really helps. I just wish I
        knew half as much as some of the really knowledgable members of this
        group have forgotten. It's slow, but I'm learning.

        Cheers, Mark

      • Randy
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
          Well Mark .. that was the whole idea behind what I am trying to do ...
          If its ok with the group ... I'll try to find more of these to share ..

          Randy

          " The difference between Genuis and Stupidity is that Genius has its limits"
> [...]

          > mills NOT to climb mill .. ( if I'm not mistaken , please correct
          me if I'm wrong )
          > because it tends to cause chatter more easily and pulls the
          workpiece up into the
          > cutter if not in a rigid setup ...
          >
          > One of their other tips says that the preferred method for
          indexable insert tools
          > is also to climb mill ..  now .. I do climb mill ... but I just
          take smaller cuts...
          > And as I think most of us know ... you can tell by the sound and by
          looking at the
          > finish, whether the cut was too deep ...
          >
          > Anyways...   Hope this was helpful to someone ..
          > and I hope it sparks interest to share useful tidbits
          > with the group ..
          >
          > As I learned not too long ago on here .. right or wrong ..  we all
          end up learning
          > something in the end ..  and thats the main thing ...

        • bdmail
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 3, 2005
            Re: [mill_drill] Sharing Ideas, etc Randy,

            This kind of thing is what makes groups like this worthwhile....

            I intend to try to make my contribution along these lines!!!

            Great idea

            Bernie

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 3, 2005
              Re: [mill_drill] Sharing Ideas, etc
              Awesome Bernie ...
              Thanks..
              I think its actually pleasently surprising how much technical info
              is in the Travers, JL Industrial, and MSC catalogs...

              I'm working on trying to make another indexable
              face mill .. about 1" cutting diameter..
              That is a tricky thing to do on manual machines ..
              But its fun to try .. and I have plenty of 12L14 to practice on LOL

              I suppose in the end it should be hardened steel ..
              But for the practice runs and testing ...  this is fine ..
              I can always use it on non-ferrous metals ..

              I'm getting a WHOLE LOT OF PRACTICE with those
              edge finders  .. LOL ..

              I'll try to post another tidbit of info this weekend ...
              Time permitting ..

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 3, 2005
                Re: [mill_drill] Re: Sharing Ideas, etc Hey Mark,

                The great thing is that you are probably learning a great deal....  You are just “climbing” a great learning curve....

                By my experience, I notice my degree of absorbsion in steps;  as there are some days when I seem to struggle through what seems to be a “simple” job (these are learning days).  Then there are these certain days, when, all of a sudden, I can fly through a number of complete  projects without a hitch.

                Congrats on your effort and perseverance....

                Bernie

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 3, 2005
                  Bernie, I'm trying. I have a HF33686, end mills, saws, vises, and a
                  lot of other neat new toys; and I have a nice 10" Logan lath. I'm
                  learning as I go and this group has really been the best of help.
                  Everytime I have asked for help, it's there. I am really happy with
                  the things that I have figured out how to do, but the little tidbits
                  is what sometimes helps to guide me. So to the group, THANKS. I'm
                  always checking for new postings to see what info they hold.

                  Cheers, Mark

                  --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, bdmail <bdmail@o...> wrote:
                  > Hey Mark,
                  >
                  > The great thing is that you are probably learning a great deal....
                  You are
                  > just ³climbing² a great learning curve....
                  >
                  > By my experience, I notice my degree of absorbsion in steps; as
                  there are
                  > some days when I seem to struggle through what seems to be a
                  ³simple² job
                  > (these are learning days). Then there are these certain days,
                  when, all of
                  > a sudden, I can fly through a number of complete projects without
                  a hitch.

                  > Congrats on your effort and perseverance....
                  >

                  > Bernie
                  >

                  > > Randy, this kind of info helps a dumb as a rock newbie like me
                  more
                  > > than I can say. I'm flying by the seat of my pants here and
                  anytime
                  > > some little tidbit like this shows up, it really helps. I just
                  wish I
                  > > knew half as much as some of the really knowledgable members of
                  this
                  > > group have forgotten. It's slow, but I'm learning.
                  > >
                  > > Cheers, Mark
                • Randy
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 3, 2005
                    Mark ... Did you get that 33686 Trammed ok ??
                    Thats the same Mill I own as well ..