Re: Tube on top of DM-45

  • Philip Burman
    Message 1 of 17 , May 3, 2005
      This example is not about foaming this is about physical impact of
      the material on the underside of the lid. It's not relevant. Sorry

      Regards
      Phil Burman

      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, corey renner <vandal968@g...>
      wrote:
      > Philip,
      > If you are confident in your argument, then I suggest that you
      take a
      > kitchen blender, fill it with a bunch of stuff, place the lid on
      top.
      > Do not clip it on, just place it there and press the PUREE button.
      > Since the foam has no pressure the contents will not fly into the
      air
      > and splash your ceiling.
      >
      > No offense intended, but this little science experiment may be
      enlightening.

      > cheers,
      >
      > On 5/3/05, Philip Burman <philbur@s...> wrote:
      > > Hi Aaron,
      > >
      > > I'm no sure this is the case. For example: If the geared head
      contains
      > > say 1 gallon or air and one gallon of oil then after you churn
      it up
      > > to create the oil foam you still only have the one gallon of air
      and
      > > one gallon of oil. So its not clear how a seal would be damaged
      due to
      > > foaming. Foaming the oil will not increase the pressure in the
      geared
      > > head. Increased temperature would cause the air to expand,
      possibly
      > > causing a slight increase in pressure.
      > >
      > > The tube arrangement may be something to do with venting the
      case when
      > > the head ir rotated 90 degees for "horizontal milling". But from
      the
      > > desription I don't see how. My RF 40 clone has a normal plastic
      > > vent/breather and I have not yet worked out how to turn the head
      90
      > > degrees without pouring the contents of the geared head all over
      the
      > > floor, other then removing the vent and plugging the hole.
      > >
      > > Regards
      > > Phil Burman

    • Philip Burman
      Message 2 of 17 , May 4, 2005
        Sorry Bernie its not true. There are only two ways the pressure can
        increase in the closed container of the example. One is by raising
        the temperature and the other is if gas (air) is desolved in the
        liquid and is released as a result of the agitation. Air is not
        particularly soluble in oil or water.

        Carbon dioxide and water, as in a fizzy drink, is another matter.

        Regards
        Phil Burman

        --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, bdmail <bdmail@o...> wrote:
        > Actually, that would produce a pressure inside...Shake it and then
        open it
        > and see what happens...
        >

        > Bernie
        >

        > > Foam has pressure??? Well It doesn't. The reason the lid flies
        off the blender
        > > is the vortex created by the cutter, pulls the contense down and
        up the sides
        > > where it will push the lid off... The reason the seal leaks is
        because it's a
        > > bad seal or sealing surface. For a oil to turn into gas the temp
        would have to
        > > 450+ deg so that's not what's happening either. If the gear box
        was completely
        > > sealed heat is the only way it can build pressure. Here's a
        experiment for
        > > you... Put some soapy water in a pop bottle and shake. Watch out
        it might
        > > blow... As you will notice it will be full of foam and no
        pressure. Come on...

        > > Ross

        subject=Unsubscribe>
        > >> *
        > >> * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
        Service
        > >> <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • leasingham_connelly
        Message 3 of 17 , May 4, 2005
          --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Ross Work" <kc7rjk@c...> wrote:
          > Foam has pressure??? Well It doesn't. snipped

          Of course foam has pressure, why else is it impossible to get a woman
          out of a bath until all the foam has gone if it's not the pressure of
          all that foam above her?

          Anyway, joking aside, surely the surface tension of a film of liquid
          will marginally increase the pressure of the gas inside a bubble and
          so make it take up less room than if it was not in a bubble. Doesn't
          this mean that a foam will actualy take up less volume than the liquid
          and gas used to create the foam if the temperature doesn't rise?

          I have no doubt that the gearbox requires a breather otherwise normal
          temperature cycling would cause the pressure inside the gearbox to
          rise and fall. If the only way for the pressure to equalise was thru
          the bottom then oil would inevitably come out. The ideal place for the
          breather is the top of the gearbox, but this is where dirt or dust is
          likely to gather. How to stop it getting mucky? Add a small tube to
          reduce the chance of debris getting into the gearbox. Another possible
          reason for a small tube is that if you are working with the head at
          an angle there is a risk that the breather may be lower than required
          to keep an air space above the oil or foam level. A clear tube will
          give some warning that there is a problem before too much mess is made
          as oil or foam is pushed out due to increased pressure from
          temperature rise as the gearbox works away.

          Martin