Milling Machine Vises

  • adavoli2001
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2005
      I use my milling machine for longer parts. In order to do this I set
      up two milling machine vises. I purchased two 4" Kurt Clone vises but
      they do not line up. The vise on the left is off by about .42. I was
      wondering what the proper procedure would be for making the two vises
      the same.

      Thank you
      Anthony
    • bdmail
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2, 2005
        Re: [mill_drill] Milling Machine Vises The same which way?

        Height, or squareness to table?

        Or is it how they align along the table?

        Bernie

        I use my milling machine for longer parts.  In order to do this I set
        up two milling machine vises.  I purchased two 4" Kurt Clone vises but
        they do not line up.  The vise on the left is off by about .42.  I was
        wondering what the proper procedure would be for making the two vises
        the same.

        Thank you
        Anthony

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • adavoli2001
        Message 3 of 5 , May 2, 2005
          OOPS! sorry for not making myself clear. The heights of the two vises
          is right on. The back side of the vises is where the problem is. If
          I use an edge finder on the one vise, move the table over to the other
          vise it will be off by .42. I want the two vises in a perfectly
          straight line. I am not sure how to answer your simple question.
          Would this be considered square to the table?

          Anthony
        • Lou Jackson
          Message 4 of 5 , May 2, 2005
            May I assume you don't have .42" of runout on the table <g>?

            Also, may I assume the problem is that you're attaching the vises
            with t-nuts and bolts, that one vise is off by that amount, and
            there's not enough wiggle room to move it that much?

            If so, then you have a couple of choices:

            - Rather than bolting both vises down directly using t-bolts, you
            will have to clamp one vise down instead. If for some reason you
            can't do this, then:

            - Cut out a ~0.42" thick shim appropriately sized and drilled, and
            insert it behind the rear anvil on one vise. That should get you
            close enough to square it up.

            Lou

            --- In mill_drill@y..., "adavoli2001" <davoli@a...> wrote:
            > OOPS! sorry for not making myself clear. The heights of the two
            > vises is right on. The back side of the vises is where the
            > problem is. If I use an edge finder on the one vise, move the
            > table over to the other vise it will be off by .42. I want the
            > two vises in a perfectly straight line. I am not sure how to
            > answer your simple question.
            >
            > Would this be considered square to the table?
            >
            > Anthony
          • Allen Sparks
            Message 5 of 5 , May 2, 2005
              If your using keys on the bottom of the vices, then
              you will have to make a set of off set keys to align
              them. or remachine the keyways wider, and make new
              keys.

              Sparky

              http://mail.yahoo.com