Re: working bronze

  • Jerry Stephenson
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2005
      I've machined silicon bronze shafts for a boating buddy and found it
      fun. It makes very pretty ribbony swarf. IT's tough, similar to
      SS. For slitting saws just use any speed/feed table and use the
      diameter of the saw. With a 3" saw, you'll end up pretty slow. HSS
      should work fine, especially with coolant. If you don't have flood
      coolant, squirt it frequently with some light cutting oil. I often
      run slitting saws very slowly so that I can just squirt coolant onto
      the top of the blade and let centrifugal force feed it in.
      Cheers,
      Jerry

      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "gmiller243" <gmiller243@y...>
      wrote:
      > Jerry, thanks for your help.
      >
      > Sounds like 660/932 is the way to go. I was looking at using a 2
      1/2"
      > or 3" blade of HSS to start. HSS is cheaper and easier to to get.
      Will