Forward/Reverse Switch

  • ericdwilson
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 26, 2005
      I just received my new mill & I am going to change the electrical
      switch. I am thinking installing a reversing switch for tapping at the
      same time. Does anyone have electrical schematics and switch pictures
      they would be willing to share? I would like to see how others have
      done this..

      Thanks in advance. Eric

      P.S. You can see pictures of the mill under mill_drill2 group in
      the "Distracted's shop" directory.
    • ericdwilson
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 28, 2005
        Can anyone help here?

        --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "ericdwilson" <ericdwilson@y...>
        wrote:

        > I just received my new mill & I am going to change the electrical
        > switch. I am thinking installing a reversing switch for tapping at
        the
        > same time. Does anyone have electrical schematics and switch
        pictures
        > they would be willing to share? I would like to see how others have
        > done this..
        >
        > Thanks in advance. Eric
        >
        > P.S. You can see pictures of the mill under mill_drill2 group in
        > the "Distracted's shop" directory.
      • bdmail
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 28, 2005
          Re: [mill_drill] Re: Forward/Reverse Switch Hello Eric,

          I guess I can’t help, except to tell you to join the SouthBendLathe Group, as they have many lengthy discussions about these kinds of things, and you can search the archive there.
          It should be totally transferable information from lathe to mill in this case, as regards motors etc.

          I do remember a large thread about this only recently.

          Bernie

          wrote:

          > I just received my new mill & I am going to change the electrical
          > switch.  I am thinking installing a reversing switch for tapping at
          the
          > same time.  Does anyone have electrical schematics and switch
          pictures
          > they would be willing to share?  I would like to see how others have
          > done this..
          >
          > Thanks in advance.  Eric
          >
          > P.S. You can see pictures of the mill under mill_drill2 group in
          > the "Distracted's shop" directory.

        • leasingham_connelly
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 29, 2005
            wrote:
            > Can anyone help here?
            >
            > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "ericdwilson"
            <ericdwilson@y...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > I just received my new mill & I am going to change the
            electrical
            > > switch. I am thinking installing a reversing switch for tapping
            at
            > the
            > > same time. Does anyone have electrical schematics and switch
            > pictures
            > > they would be willing to share? I would like to see how others
            have
            > > done this..

            For 3 phase motors you just swap two of the phases. For single phase
            motors you need to know what type of motor it is. The simplest is
            one with field windings (stator) and armature windings (rotor) and
            the four wires for these are brought out or are accessible thru
            terminals. To reverse these you swap the connections to either the
            stator coil or the rotor coil. Capacitor start motors may need care
            to pick the correct wires to swap. Basic switch required for the job
            is a double pole double throw (DPDT) Power wires are fed to the
            common connection of each pole and the coil wires are connected to
            the other 4 terminals, crossed over, so in one position current
            flows one way but in the other it is reversed.

            Martin