Re: [mill_drill] Rotary table size

  • Earl Bower
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 4, 2005
      I have the RF-30 model (purchased in 1985) mill/drill and I have the 8"
      rotary table.

      The 8" rotary table seems a bit large for what I am doing. Also it is quite
      heavy to put up (at age 59 dear old art' is starting to visit) and I have
      not really used it much.

      In due time I plan on going to a 6" rotary table.

      Earl
      www.bowermachineandtool.com

      > Just wondering what is a good size for a rotary table for the M/D
      > (HF version). Is the 8" too big?
      > Paul in OKC

    • Robert George
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 4, 2005
        --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Earl Bower" <elbower@a...> wrote:
        > I have the RF-30 model (purchased in 1985) mill/drill and I have the 8"
        > rotary table.
        >
        > The 8" rotary table seems a bit large for what I am doing. Also it
        is quite
        > heavy to put up (at age 59 dear old art' is starting to visit) and I
        have
        > not really used it much.

        I Use a Palmagren 8" Rotary Table on my RF-30, and I love it -- big
        enough to work pieces too big for my 7x10 lathe, but not obnoxiously big.
      • Charles Upstate NY
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 4, 2005
          I have a PhaseII 10 inch mounted to my RF45 Lathemaster table at all
          times. Its horizontal only though, weighs about 80lbs, add some more
          for the 12x12x.750 aluminum fixture plate. The fixture plate is
          drilled and tapped (5/16 socket screws) for stock from 6 inches to
          16, that makes for quick loading/unloading of stock. The largest
          part I milled on this setup was a 21 inch diameter plate of 1 inch
          thick polyethylene.

          Note I have Industrial Hobbies Y axis extender blocks installed to
          give me 3 extra inches of Y travel. Even with the table (which is a
          heavy mother) and rotary table hanging out over the saddle I have
          not had any issues.

          They had a grand opening for a harbor freight store near my house
          the other day, I looked at their mill/drills up close, the
          lathemaster is much more of a brute. The stand was pretty nice
          though.

          --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Robert George"