Mill/Rill as a surface grinder

  • John Barlow
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2004
      I seem to remember that a David Machin used a cup wheel in his
      dore-westbury mill to grind the table flat after a number of years use.
      This article was in one of the Model Engineers Workshop series - about
      issue 67/68 I think. The result was very good by all accounts. The main
      problem will be dealing with grinding dust and the very accurate down
      feed required for surface grinding.

      If the machine is up to it, can the main spindle speed be increased to
      sufficient speed to do the grinding or a suitable wheel found for the
      slower speed used on the mill?

      The grinding wheel will have to be trued , but that can be done by
      simply fitting a diamond dresser in a block on the mill table.

      The previous issue of MEW had details of fitting a triangular gib key to
      locate the head to the circular column of the mill. If I remember
      correctly a repeatability of about 0.0004 was quoted when the head of
      the mill was moved, which does rather solve quite a problem with these
      machines.

      To do the job you do need access to a spare mill with a sufficiently
      long table travel to deal with the entire column length. One problem
      may be reducing the strength of the mill column by cutting the keyway in
      it.

      Has anybody done this mod? I think the same gentleman designed a rather
      nice gearbox for his ML7 which is now produced as a kit from Hemmingway
      Kits in the UK.

      Just something to think over during the boring bits of the new year
      party!

      Wishing you all a happy new year

      John

      From: "Kenneth A. Emmert" <mds1878@...>
      2. R-8 Lock pin
      From: "roberlt" <BERLT@...>
      3. Re: How much V from a VFD?
      From: "Robert George" <roberttgeorge@...>
      4. Re: R-8 Lock pin
      From: "ronniebilt" <ronniebilt@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 07:27:06 -0800
      From: "Kenneth A. Emmert" <mds1878@...>
      Subject: RE: Mill/Drill Surface Grinder?

      I have an idea and wanted to ask if anyone else had been down this road
      before me so I may not need to reinvent the wheel.

      What I'm thinking of doing is buying a tool post grinder off Ebay then
      mounting it on a taper mount so I could then put it in the spindle taper
      and use it as a surface grinder in my RF45.

      The only thing I see bad about the idea would be to make sure that the
      head on the RF45 didn't get turned on! But you would have the
      RF45 spindle and table feeds feeds for grinding.

      What do you think?

      Sterling

      I too have thought it could be practical to add a surface grinder too
      mill/drill. I ran into a time wall on project using spiral bevel gear
      set and a 2 to 1 power ratio from head.
      It still seems practical perhaps some else will pick up project. It
      would make a useful accessory item.

      Ken
      Kenneth A. Emmert
      SMW Precision

      Message: 2
      Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 03:34:52 -0000
      From: "roberlt" <BERLT@...>
      Subject: R-8 Lock pin

      I was using my Enco RF-45 (325-5184) and as I was trying to tighten the
      drawbar I notices the collet turning in the quill.

      I removed the collet ran my finger up the R-8 bore and ...NO lock pin.
      The pin was there before,and I feel a hole where a pin should go so I
      don't think it is broken it just came out.

      So my questions are 1)where did the pin go? 2)Do I need a pin or is it
      OK ro run without it?If I need the pin how the (@^*//) do I get to it
      AND keep it from wandering again?

      Thanks in advance for the help,

      Rob

      Message: 3
      Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 04:02:42 -0000
      From: "Robert George" <roberttgeorge@...>
      Subject: Re: How much V from a VFD?

      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "accuratemike" <mike@a...> wrote:
      [snip]
      > ...I use 120hz as a max (so as not to create a grenade) and go 2x
      > standard rpm. A VFD will enable you to go VERY slow or VERY fast. Way
      > beyond the realm of what you can actually use. Add all of the other
      > features you get, and they are a SUPER addition to your mill. I don't
      > know how I would have lived without it, MIKE

      Mike,

      What belt positions are you running?

      I have a similar setup -- RF-31 with a Hitachi VFD and a 2 HP motor.

      I'm running belt positions 2 - 8 (second from the highest setting = 1790
      RPM for you gear-head guys), and getting my 2500 RPM speeds with the VFD
      at 85 Hz.

      I was wondering if can run in the highest RPM setting (belt positions
      1 - 8 = 2500 RPM).

      Do you lose a lot of torque if you run at the highest belt setting?

      Thanks,

      Robert

      Message: 4
      Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 04:19:46 -0000
      From: "ronniebilt" <ronniebilt@...>
      Subject: Re: R-8 Lock pin

      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "roberlt" <BERLT@m...> wrote:

      Hi

      There is two pins not one in your quill spindle. They are threaded.
      You can see one of them or the hole if you look through the slot you
      would use if you were removing a morse taper drill. To get to the other
      one you need to remove your quill spindle. Lossen bearing adjusting nut
      at the top and remove threaded collar at bottom of quill and it comes
      out the bottom.

      Ron