Re: RF-31 price et all

  • Chuck
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2004
      -Please let us know what you think of your new Harbor Freight Mill.--
      In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "ginsboy2003" <ginsboy2003@y...> wrote:

      > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck" <scallion172@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > There has been alot of helpfull posts about which mill/ drill to
      > buy.
      > > It's a real confusing issue. Rong Fu vs. mainland china, round
      > column
      > > vs. dovetail.
      > > I'd like to set a cap at about $1,500 for a decent drill mill. That
      > > would include shipping.
      > > Lets see, we have Enco, Grizzly, Wholesale Tools, Penn Tools, Harbor
      > > Freight, Lathemaster and many others to choose from.
      > > This is just for hobby use.
      >
      > HF also has their mill drill on sale for $799, I picked one up
      > Sunday and also used a $10 off coupon. I was going to get the
      > Homier, but the machinists at work advised me that a R-8 spindle
      > would be better and cheaper for tooling in the long run.
    • ginsboy2003
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 2, 2004
        Well here's what I've learned about my mill so far (HF 33686), keep
        in mind I've no experience with any type of mill.

        First, a plus is it came with a 2 hp 110/220 motor, not a 1 1/2 hp
        as advertised.

        The 3 1/2 inch angle vise listed as an accessory, wasn't. It looks
        like a junk drill press vise, so I haven't decided if I should
        complain about not getting it. The HF store is one hr trip one way
        and not worth a $20 crap vise. It might be a good vise, maybe
        someone can add their two cents and I'll decide what to do about it.

        After spending an entire day cleaning it off, (wd-40 sprayed on and
        let sit cuts the waxy stuff great), I let turned it on and let it run
        for 5 hrs. The belts on the top end are much quiter now, no
        vibration. I don't know how much I'll use it so I tried to simulate
        a month of use to see what would break while under warranty.

        I was a little worried about a slight noise coming from the spindle
        area, I could hear a slight ticking or rattling noise. It is a very
        small noise, some might not hear it, but I am anal about things so I
        investigated, and found it was only the bearing cage of the spindle
        bearing spinning. I thought it was the outer race at first and got
        sick but thats not the case and some noise is probably normal with
        Chinese bearings.

        It has 5/8 t-slots, so thats what I ordered for $29 on ebay, and
        found the chinese t-slot nuts about .010 too wide and the widest
        point on the t-slot. 3 minutes later slightly hitting each on my
        grinder fixed that. They fit nicely now.

        I checked the runout on the tip of the R-8 drill chuck arbor and
        found it to be .0005 using my .0005 test indicator. I haven't
        mounted the chuck yet, I might wait and get a better Jacobs chuck.
        Anyone have any advise on this, is it worth it?

        I haven't trammed it yet don't know when I will get a chance to, my
        wife is out of town and even though I've taken time off from work my
        7yr old is throwing up now, so I I'm busy with that.

        I have a collet set now, advertised as .0006 tir on ebay by discount
        machine, which by the way shipped my order to me in 3 days! I have
        no endmills yet.

        With no end mills I haven't used it yet, I guess I could use the
        flycutter. I do go out and talk to it every day, turning it on and
        staring at it, rubbing a little oil on it. My wife just doesn't
        understand.

        ginsboy2003

        --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck" <scallion172@y...> wrote:

        > There has been alot of helpfull posts about which mill/ drill to
        buy.
        > It's a real confusing issue. Rong Fu vs. mainland china, round
        column
        > vs. dovetail.
        > I'd like to set a cap at about $1,500 for a decent drill mill. That
        > would include shipping.
        > Lets see, we have Enco, Grizzly, Wholesale Tools, Penn Tools, Harbor
        > Freight, Lathemaster and many others to choose from.
        > This is just for hobby use.
      • matchgrade2003
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 2, 2004
          I lucked out last year and and got my hf33686 for $699 on sale. The
          vice is well.....a $10-20 vice. If I need the tilting feature it's
          better than nothing, but it will not do as a regular use vice.
          I have really been pondering ever since I purchased this if I should
          have spent the big duckies for the dovetail collum version.
          But I have a sneaky fealing that for twice the price it will not be
          twice the better machine.
          Mine table is flat the spindle is quiet. I have cut .125 in deep in
          steel without vibration (I suspect this is near its limit)
          My luck I up-grade to a better mill design and get a lemon. And of
          course sell the old good one first!

        • ginsboy2003
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 4, 2004
            Having had the chance to play with my new HF 33686 mill a bit, I
            trammed it, and was really surprised. Left to right, the column was
            dead on, and forward to aft it was only .004 out. I set the
            indicator to sweep a 8 inch circle as well. Two pieces of paper
            under each side in the front and the indicator now shows well less
            than .001 of movement (my indicator reads .001 increments and it only
            moves half that). Don't know if I'll ever need that kind of accuracy.

            The table also showed to be true and flat.

            At this point, I don't know why anyone would buy a more expensive RF-
            31 type unless you want better customer service. For $799, you can't
            beat it.

            I did make a call to HF, told them about the missing vise after
            spending 20 min. on hold. They are going to send me one in 6-8
            weeks, if its not in the warehouse. I'll probably put in on my drill
            press.

            If you could get it for $699 like matchgrade2003 jump on it with both
            feet. If you see it on the net for $799, go to the store and ask the
            manager if you could help HF save on shipping, and offer $750 or so.
            The guys I've dealt with are great, ask for the store manager the
            assistant manager may not have the authority to lower the price.

            About the spindle noise I said I heard, you actually need to put your
            ear near the spindle to hear it over the motor. Normal bearing noise
            from chinese bearings I guess. I've run it for 7 hrs now and its
            still the same.

            Still waiting on endmills.