Re: [mill_drill] Re: RF31 Housing Crack

  • Randy Wilson
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 30, 2004
      Man, you ask 50 different engineers a question, you get 50 conflicting
      answers. Best one I've seen yet wasn't mine, it was the one that said
      "get it replaced under warranty". Best kind of welding there is ;^)

      On Nov 30, 2004, at 11:11 PM, svande45 wrote:

      > I would be tempted to drill the ends and tig weld it up with silicon
      > bronze. It would be the easist way and you could always use nickle rod
      > later if it did not hold up. It would probably would be fine with the
      > Silicon bronse though.
      >

      > - In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Clint D" <driggars@e...> wrote:
      >>
      >> The best way to weld this break is Brazing with brass
      >>
      >> Clint
      >>

      >>> My RF31 is about 4 months old and has developed a crack in the
      >>> housing at the lower clamping bolt hole. This crack extends from
      >>> the bold hole to the end of the housing to the rear. I can't see
      >>> difference is the mill operation yet, but I am concerned about the
      >>> future, it's not going to get any better! Has anybody else seen
      >>> this?
      >>>

      >> As you probably already know, welding cast iron is a bit of pain to
      > do
      >> correctly. I would be tempted to drill the end(s) and then use JB
      >> weld. However, I might change my mind if I saw the crack.
      >>

      >> Yahoo! Groups Links
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Ed Smith
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 1, 2004
        I seem to remember something similar being discussed a long time ago.  We're talking about the bolts that pinch the head to the column, right?  I'll check the archives and see what I can come up with.

        At 02:57 PM 11/30/2004, you wrote:
        My RF31 is only a couple months old and I haven't noticed a crack.  I am definately going to inspect it, too.

        btierce <btierce@...> wrote:

        My RF31 is about 4 months old and has developed a crack in the
        housing at the lower clamping bolt hole.  This crack extends from
        the bold hole to the end of the housing to the rear.  I can't see a
        difference is the mill operation yet, but I am concerned about the
        future, it's not going to get any better!  Has anybody else seen
        this?

        L. Edward Smith
        Boones Mill, VA  24065

        lesmith@... (preferred)
        lesmith_52@...
        lesmith218@...

      • Paul Huffman
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 3, 2004
          I bought my HF 33686 mill cracked =8^O. But I knew it was ( it was a
          warranty return) when I bought it(as is)and decided to take a chance.
          They gave me a great deal, and I brought it to the shop I work at and
          had a guy weld it with rod for cast iron. Been working great since.
          Paul