Re: Harbor Freight

  • Phil Teague
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 6, 2004
      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "debrular2004" <debrular2004@y...>
      wrote:

      > Has anyone had any luck with a mill from Harbor Freight?
      >
      > John

      Harbor Freight sells or has sold several models of mill/drills. The
      current models include the: 42827 round column gearhead model, 33686
      round column belt drive model, a mini-mill (44991) and a micro model
      (47158) and a drill/mill model 42976. They have sold almost an
      identical model to the 33686 round column model (2112 I think) that
      was in fact a Rong Fu 31 machine (no longer sold). Most of the stores
      carry the 33686 and the 44991 models with some stores carrying the 42827.

      I purchased a 33686 more than 3 years ago over the Internet. I
      recently upgraded it with a new 3 phase motor (I posted something on
      this the other day). This model of mill/drill is either identical to
      or virtually identical to several models sold by Enco, Wholesale
      tools, Homier (not sure if they still carry it), and others. It is
      made in China (PRC) and is a copy of the Rong Fu Model 31 mill. The
      paint job on mine was not as nice as the Taiwanese made Rong Fu but
      the machine is accurately made. One complaint I did have about this
      machine and others have voiced similar complaints about other machines
      is that the inside of the mill head and spindle had a lot of dirt and
      sand that migrated to the bearings. The machine ran OK but the
      bearings showed signs of abrasion when I took them apart. I replaced
      the bears for a cost of $75. Perhaps new machines are cleaner. But,
      like I said, the accuracy of the table and spindle were fine. For $799
      it represents, IMO, a good deal. You can pay more (like $1400 and up
      for a square column model) and get more.

      One nice thing about the 33686 is that with a decent motor, it runs
      very smoothly. I don't know how it compares with a gearhead mill since
      I have never seen (or heard) one run, but I do have a gearhead lathe
      (HF 12 x 36, BTW and it works quite well), and it definitely makes
      more noise. Even so, the stock motor is adequate enough that I used it
      for more than 3 years and could have used it much longer.

      Having said all of this I would definitely opt for a Bridgeport clone
      from HF or a number of other vendors if I had the space and the $$.
      Nothing beats having a 2500 lb milling machine compared to a 650 lb
      one. Mass does count.
    • rick201m
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 6, 2004
        Not familiar with "hogger bits"? Could you give us
        more about them? Sounds good. Do they cut better or
        easier for the little mill?

        Also, the 33686 HF mill is their bigger 1.5hp
        one...copy of the Rong Fu RF-30, I believe. Is that
        the one you are using?

        Thanks alot!
        Rick in CO
        --- Jerry Smith <jfsmith@...> wrote:

        > I have the small red one, I think it's the
        > 33686 model. It works
        > good for a small machine. The Z axis is a little bit
        > difficult to deal with
        > from time to time. I use hogger bits a lot with it,
        > instead of two/four
        > flute end mills that I use on my knee mill. They
        > work well for this little
        > machine.
        > For the price it can't be beat.
        >
        > Jerry
        >

        > At 12:35 AM 11/6/2004, you wrote:
        >

        > >Has anyone had any luck with a mill from Harbor
        > Freight?
        > >
        > >John
        > >

        > >Yahoo! Groups Links

        Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
        www.yahoo.com
      • Dan Freidus
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 6, 2004
          Re: [mill_drill] Harbor Freight
          I think Jerry is talking about what are also known as "roughing" end mills.  Each flute teeth or a corrugated cutting edge that overlaps with what is cut bu the other flutes.  great for removing a lot of material quickly but doesn't leave as smooth a finish as a regular end mill.

          Follow this link and click on "end mills, roughing" for more info and a photo:
          http://www.victornet.com/cgi-bin/victor/a >lphabetical.html?min=e&max=f

          Dan
          ====================================

          Not familiar with "hogger bits"?  Could you give us
          more about them?  Sounds good.  Do they cut better or
          easier for the little mill?

          Also, the 33686 HF mill is their bigger 1.5hp
          one...copy of the Rong Fu RF-30, I believe.  Is that
          the one you are using?

          Thanks alot!
          Rick in CO
        • dwade7551
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 6, 2004
            I purchased an older used HF mill drill for under $500 dollars. I
            have just finished adjusting it and am pleaed with the accuracy and
            power. This machine is 2HP and will easily take 0.100" cuts in
            steel. It will also hold parallelism over about 6" to that 0.002"
            accuracy. That was the longest piece of steel that I had to play
            with. I suspect that it will do more but have been more interested
            in cleaning, adjusting, etc; I really wanted a dovetail mill but
            this one came up and I could not resist the price. I purchased one
            of the 4" milling vises from ebay and it is the best investment I
            ever made. I used it on my Smith 1234 before I got this mill drill.
            It made a big difference in accuracy and vibration.

            Dale

            <debrular2004@y...> wrote:

            > Has anyone had any luck with a mill from Harbor Freight?
            >
            > John
          • Brad Anesi
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 7, 2004
              Message
              My experience with Harbor Freight mills is a bit unique, but I'll share it any way....  I have a Clausing mill with a head from a Harbor Freight 40939 http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=40939  You can't order a complete assembled head from HF - you have to buy each individual part and assemble it yourself.  Let me just say that it would appear that HF uses their "reject" parts as their spare parts inventory.  The quality control was incredibly bad - I could see that some parts were mis-machined with my bare eyes!  It took over a year before I was able to get the head assembled and mounted to the mill.

              All that said, I think I've now got a R8 head on my mill that is better than the original.  The "Clausing purists" want to have me strung up, but they don't own the mill, I do. :)  I don't think I would want to rely on a HF mill for production work, given the time lag on delivery (from China) and quality of spares.

              Brad
                Message 7 of 13 , May 28, 2014
                  I just received a booklet from HF saying I'm now a Gold Customer
                  (whatever that is). Aside from the "personalized" web page, I found
                  just anybody can view the coupons here
                  http://www.harborfreight.com/gold.html

                  So, more ways to buy stuff.

                  tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
                  Skype: jerrydurand
                • paulguenter@att.net

                    Message 9 of 13 , May 29, 2014
                      I went into Harbor Freight to get a $2 item and to get my "Gold Customer" bar code scanned.  Came out $50 later.

                      One of the items in my basket was a piezeo-electric propane torch head.  The operating instructions included such gems as "Keep both hands on the torch while in use", "Remove propane bottle from torch when not in use", and "Do not remove propane bottle until it is empty"!

                      Fun!
                      Ed Bailen
                    • Smokin Joe Fission