Re: Can the Grizzly G3103 or G3102 be converted to CNC ?

  • Torsten
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 5, 2004
      I just looked at the G9959 much the same but has
      over twice the Y-travel this would be nice to have.
      To convert those machines you will first have to
      define how much and what part of the work you want
      to do yourself.
      You will need Servo or stepper motors Drives Powersupply
      and controller software.
      Then the Motormounts need to be designed and fabricated.
      The easy way would be to talk to one of the kit manufacturers
      and see if they be willing to custom produce a mount for
      your machine.
      You will have to partially disassemble the mill to provide
      the needed dimmensions for it.
      I estimate it would cost ~4000.$ maybe more depending on the
      package you choose.
      Another option is to make it all yourself, some skill in design
      will be required and lots of research in forums like this.
      If you are dedicated and committed you may get it done in 12 month.
      May save a few bucks but not much I guess about 3000.00$ should
      be available to start this project.
      One more thought you do not
      want a Powerfeed or DRO on the machine to convert.
      May be useless afterwards cnc takes care of both needs.
      Good Luck

      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "dustystufff" <dustystufff@y...>
      wrote:

      > Hi I have designed some small items and I have been trying to make
      my
      > protypes with a Portable Craftsman drill press that i've added an X
      > milling table and a mill vise. Its working out ok but will never
      work
      > for any kind of production which is where I want to go, in a small
      > way. So I've been doing a lot of looking around and checking out
      CNC
      > and I've decide that it is the way I will want to eventualy go.
      > Although I'm working in wood I will want a mill that can work both
      > steel and wood. So I beleive I will be better off getting a mill
      that
      > is high speed for the wood. From what I understand the smaller
      > Grizzly mills like the G0519 are popular for the conversion, but to
      > get that high speed spindle I'm Looking at the larger "G3102
      Vertical
      > Mill" or the "G3103 Vertical Mill with Table Power Feed". Is Power
      > Feed something I should pay the extra $ for? I beleive they have
      > squared columns with a geard head. Any way my main question is Will
      > be able to convert one of these two mills to CNC? Is there a CNC
      kit
      > for dummies? I realy know nothing about this except what I've read
      in
      > the last couple of weeks. However I think it is a project I would
      > realy enjoy putting together and learning how to make things with
      it.
      > I am not big into woodworking and even less knowedgable about
      working
      > with steel. But I'm very good with computers and draw in a CAD
      > program and use a plotter every day at work. Any good CNC building
      > instructions I would greatly apreciate, any advise would be greatly
      > apreciated. Especialy any info on these two Mills being the Grizzly
      > G3102 or G3103 seen here.
      >
      > http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G3102
      >
      > http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G3103
    • john labutski
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 5, 2004
        Take a look at the Lathemaster.com 7045fg. Its 1395.00
        Also go to industrial hobbies.com.  They have cnc kits for square column mills.  You will save money in the long run because you will get a beefier mill for about 400-800 dollars less.  In fact industrialobbies will ship you a square column mill already cnc'd.  Take a look at their video's.   Just remember you will be throwing away your leadscrews and other goodies such as the  powerfeed.  Also the square column mill will allow you to run at much higher feed rates then the grizzly.  Also the extra y axis length (almost 2 1/2 inches)will allow you more flexibility when you run multiple parts at one time with the same setup.

        John

        wrote:

        > Hi I have designed some small items and I have been trying to make
        my
        > protypes with a Portable Craftsman drill press that i've added an X
        > milling table and a mill vise. Its working out ok but will never
        work
        > for any kind of production which is where I want to go, in a small
        > way. So I've been doing a lot of looking around and checking out
        CNC
        > and I've decide that it is the way I will want to eventualy go.
        > Although I'm working in wood I will want a mill that can work both
        > steel and wood. So I beleive I will be better off getting a mill
        that
        > is high speed for the wood. From what I understand the smaller
        > Grizzly mills like the G0519 are popular for the conversion, but to
        > get that high speed spindle I'm Looking at the larger "G3102
        Vertical
        > Mill" or the "G3103 Vertical Mill with Table Power Feed". Is Power
        > Feed something I should pay the extra $ for? I beleive they have
        > squared columns with a geard head. Any way my main question is Will
        > be able to convert one of these two mills to CNC? Is there a CNC
        kit
        > for dummies? I realy know nothing about this except what I've read
        in
        > the last couple of weeks. However I think it is a project I would
        > realy enjoy putting together and learning how to make things with
        it.
        > I am not big into woodworking and even less knowedgable about
        working
        > with steel. But I'm very good with computers and draw in a CAD
        > program and use a plotter every day at work. Any good CNC building
        > instructions I would greatly apreciate, any advise would be greatly
        > apreciated. Especialy any info on these two Mills being the Grizzly
        > G3102 or G3103 seen here.
        >
        > http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G3102
        >
        > http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G3103

      • dustystufff
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 5, 2004
          The G9959/G9977 are not going to be an option. They are to large and
          wont fit into the room it needs to go into. I beleiv however the G3102
          will. Its spindle speed is 240-2760 and that would be rather slow for
          wood, but I think I can replace the motor in this machine with the
          3450 RPM for about $170 seen here http://www.grizzly
          com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=H5382 I'm not sure if it will fit in
          the machine but it is something I will talk about with someone from
          Grizzly. I will be going to Springfield Mo. at the end of this month
          to see these machines and talk with some Grizzly folks. other probs
          with the bigger wood mill is that its pre wired for 220 I( dont want
          to rewire my house. This machine will go into my computer room and not
          a shop so it needs to be as small as I can get it but as large as I
          can get it also. I want to get one that will be used for many years, I
          dont want to have to move up again latter. I will use this in a manual
          way for the first year or so while saving money for the conversion.
          Thanks for all the help and I am reading all the advise and it is
          greatly apreciated, so thanks to all and to all future sugestions.

          --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Torsten" <torsten@g...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > squared columns with a geard head. Any way my main question is
          Will
          > > be able to convert one of these two mills to CNC? Is there a CNC
          > kit
          > > for dummies? I realy know nothing about this except what I've read
          > in
          > > the last couple of weeks. However I think it is a project I would
          > > realy enjoy putting together and learning how to make things with
          > it.
          > > I am not big into woodworking and even less knowedgable about
          > working
          > > with steel. But I'm very good with computers and draw in a CAD
          > > program and use a plotter every day at work. Any good CNC building
          > > instructions I would greatly apreciate, any advise would be
          greatly
          > > apreciated. Especialy any info on these two Mills being the

        • G W Howe
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 5, 2004
            In message <cjuhd1+3rd6@...>, dustystufff
            <dustystufff@...> writes
            >Its spindle speed is 240-2760 and that would be rather slow for wood,
            >but I think I can replace the motor in this machine with the 3450 RPM
            There is a recommended top speed limit on cast iron pulley's such as
            those used in the mill. I would have some serious doubts about changing
            the motor. Please make sure you check this out as the consequences
            could be very serious and result in personal injury.
            --
            Graham Howe mail: (ghowe@...)
          • dustystufff
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 5, 2004
              --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, G W Howe <ghowe@m...> wrote:
              > In message <cjuhd1+3rd6@e...>, dustystufff
              > <dustystufff@y...> writes
              > >Its spindle speed is 240-2760 and that would be rather slow for
              wood,
              > >but I think I can replace the motor in this machine with the 3450
              RPM
              > There is a recommended top speed limit on cast iron pulley's such as
              > those used in the mill. I would have some serious doubts about
              changing
              > the motor. Please make sure you check this out as the consequences
              > could be very serious and result in personal injury.
              > --
              > Graham Howe mail: (ghowe@m...)

              Could the belt & pulley's be changed to increase the spindle speed
              without changing the motor?
            • G W Howe
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 5, 2004
                In message <cjv3c7+a31m@...>, dustystufff
                <dustystufff@...> writes
                >Could the belt & pulley's be changed to increase the spindle speed
                >without changing the motor?
                I suggest you get some advice on this topic. Cast iron will burst at a
                critical speed. There is a lot of information about this in machinerys
                handbook. There is also the consideration to balance of rotational
                parts. The mill in question may be perfectly safe at the recommended
                speeds as small rotational out of balance forces are not evident. The
                problem dramatically changes once speed increases and any undue out of
                balance of the rotational parts will cause vibrations which will
                magnify. Then you have to consider the bearings and what they are rated
                for. It seems to me that what you need is a tool designed for high
                speed working and not try to convert one which is of low speed. Have
                you considered using a router and attaching this to a mill head. These
                have very high speeds and are designed for wood. The router is powered
                by its integral motor and the mill would provide the table x,y &z
                movements. I have not tried this myself but it is the route I would
                explore first. Hope this helps.
                --
                Graham Howe mail: (ghowe@...)
              • john labutski
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 5, 2004
                  Just out of curiosity, why do you need all that spindle speed? I have had success with oak,rosewood, coco bola, and other exotic hardwoods at under 2,000 rpm.  Because a milling machine is much less susceptible to vibration, you get a superb surface finish without super spindle rpms.  Also the spindle in the grizzly is not going to like excessive rpms and long run times without additonal spindle cooling.  You can compute the bearing velocity by taking the diameter of the ID of the spindle bearing on the grizzly and comparing it to the bearing size in  power tool run at the rpms you are speaking of . Multiply each by pi and you will find that your kind of pushing the spindle bearing past its limits.  The formula I mention is though not exact is close enough for comparison purposes.

                  Just an idea !

                  john

                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 5, 2004
                    John this is just what I've been hoping someone would say! I have been
                    milling Walnut, Oak, and Cherry with a Homeade Drill mill made from a
                    portable Craftsman Drill Press with a 3/4 HP motor Its top speed is
                    3600 RPM and I have run it at much slower speeds. It makes me feel
                    like I have more controll than the high speeds. Its been running just
                    fine. The Mill I want will run at 2760 RPM with a 1 1/2 HP motor, now
                    I know I wont be able to push through the wood real fast, but thats no
                    important to me. Quality is much more important than speed. So I think
                    I'll just buy the one I want and run it at my own speed wich is slow.
                    I want to thank everyone for there help. I will make it a point to
                    keep you all informed with my progress or regress, wichever it may be.
                    --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "john labutski" <kd6wd@c...> wrote:

                    > Just out of curiosity, why do you need all that spindle speed? I
                    have had success with oak,rosewood, coco bola, and other exotic
                    hardwoods at under 2,000 rpm. Because a milling machine is much less
                    susceptible to vibration, you get a superb surface finish without
                    super spindle rpms. Also the spindle in the grizzly is not going to
                    like excessive rpms and long run times without additonal spindle
                    cooling. You can compute the bearing velocity by taking the diameter
                    of the ID of the spindle bearing on the grizzly and comparing it to
                    the bearing size in power tool run at the rpms you are speaking of .
                    Multiply each by pi and you will find that your kind of pushing the
                    spindle bearing past its limits. The formula I mention is though not
                    exact is close enough for comparison purposes.

                    > Just an idea !

                    > john

                    converted to CNC ?

> [...]

                    CNC

                    > > kit

                    > > > for dummies? I realy know nothing about this except what I've
                    read

                    > > in

                    > > > the last couple of weeks. However I think it is a project I
                    would

                    > > > realy enjoy putting together and learning how to make things
                    with

                    > > it.

                    > > > I am not big into woodworking and even less knowedgable about

                    > > working

                    > > > with steel. But I'm very good with computers and draw in a CAD

                    > > > program and use a plotter every day at work. Any good CNC
                    building

                    > > > instructions I would greatly apreciate, any advise would be

                    > greatly

                    > > > apreciated. Especialy any info on these two Mills being the

                    Service.
                  • industrialhobbies
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 9, 2004
                      Swapping the motor on a bench mill is a risky proposition. Most (all
                      that I know of) do not have hardened gears in the head for the high-
                      speed operation. I know this because I just bought a container of
                      mills from China and paid quite a bit extra for that option.

                      Now of course your results may vary. But unless the importer
                      specially orders the special gears you'll have issues.

                      Thanks
                      Aaron Moss
                      www.IndustrialHobbies.com

                      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "mertbaker" <MertBaker@p...> wrote:
                      > An alternative, so as to avoid spending more than you want, is to
                      get a
                      > 3450RPM motor & swap out the 1750 one that comes on the machine.
                      > Mert
                      >
                      > MertBaker@v...

                    • industrialhobbies
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 9, 2004