Re: [mill_drill] Re: Disassembly and Transportation of mill/drill

  • rgsparber@aol.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 31, 2004
      *The short answer is:

      This is accomplished by first unbolting the lead screw bearing supports. The lead screw can then be unscrewed until it comes out.

      Remove the gib and the table can be slid off of one side. I was able to carry it to my workbench.

      In order to remove the saddle, start by unbolting the cross feed bearing support. Then unscrew the cross feed lead screw. The cross feed nut must then be unbolted. Then the gib is removed and the saddle slides right off.
      *The long answer is to pick up a copy of The Home Shop Machinist for March/April 2004 and start reading on page 48. There are pictures that may help you.

      Rick Sparber

      rgsparber@...

      My Web Site:
      rgsparber.fifthprime.com
    • thumbtrap43
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 8, 2004
        --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, rgsparber@a... wrote:
        > In order to remove the saddle, start by unbolting the cross feed
        bearing support. Then unscrew the cross feed lead screw. The cross
        feed nut must then be unbolted. Then the gib is removed and the
        saddle slides right off.

        I think I have that issue but can't locate it. I remember seeing it on
        the stand and don't think I would have passed it up with that article
        in it. I got the table off, trying to get the saddle off. The cross
        feed bearing support and lead screw were actually the first things I
        got out (I was trying to remove the whole table and saddle in one step
        - to minimize possible damage I could do.) The gib screw and gib are
        out. But it looks like I have to get under the table to remove the
        table nut. The cap screws holding it in are mounted from below, and
        the cross feed nut is blocking my access to it from above.

        I was trying to get the weight down so I could maneuver the head close
        enough to pick it up with the hoist. But it looks like I'll have to do
        that first to get the saddle off now. It doesn't weight that much,
        maybe I should put the saddle gib & screw back in place to keep it
        from flopping around and try to muscle the small palette close enough
        to pick it up with the hoist.
      • rgsparber@aol.com
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 8, 2004
          Don't be afraid to remove the table first. Just take lots of pictures and notes as you go. I'm biased, but do think that the pictures in that article will be helpful.
          But it looks like I have to get under the table to remove the
          table nut. The cap screws holding it in are mounted from below, and
          the cross feed nut is blocking my access to it from above.
          You are almost there! Go under the table and remove the two cap screws that hold on the table nut.

          I would not recommend leaving the table flopping around and adding weight. It is just too easy to have it catch on something and be broken.

          Rick Sparber

          rgsparber@...

          My Web Site:
          rgsparber.fifthprime.com
        • Jerry
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 9, 2004
            --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, rgsparber@a... wrote:

            > Don't be afraid to remove the table first. Just take lots of
            pictures and
            > notes as you go. I'm biased, but do think that the pictures in
            that article
            > will be helpful.

            As mentioned earlier - this is my first time through this (&
            hopefully my only), but FWIW,
            I never did remove the cross feed screw and nut from the saddle.
            After I
            unscrewed & removed the gib's and the 4 cap screws (2 each end)
            holding those cross feed screw flanges to the end of the table I was
            able to slide the table off the saddle to the left. The flanges
            rotate and flop down providing enough clearance for the table to
            slide past over them. Then I reached down at the back behind the
            saddle from the top and removed the x axis lead screw nut after
            extracting the cap screw holding it in place. The cap screw holding
            that nut in place is on the rear edge of the saddle. Once that brass
            nut was off I just slid the saddle off to the front, cross feed screw
            still in place.

            I didn't think it was possible to remove the saddle untill I removed
            that x lead screw adjusting nut and my mill did not have a hole in
            the cabinet under the mill so I could reach up from undeneith to
            access it. After I removed the mill base I cut a large hole in the
            top of the cabinet befor reasembly - something I learned from that
            article.
          • thumbtrap43
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 9, 2004
              --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry" <renaissanceman04002@y...>
              wrote:
              > I didn't think it was possible to remove the saddle untill I removed
              > that x lead screw adjusting nut and my mill did not have a hole in
              > the cabinet under the mill so I could reach up from undeneith to
              > access it. After I removed the mill base I cut a large hole in the
              > top of the cabinet befor reasembly - something I learned from that
              > article.

              It's still on the shipping palette, so I'm pretty much in the same
              boat you were. I need to make sure I cut an access hole in the stand
              though - I was about to forget to do that before I ran into this.