Re: [mill_drill] Spindle Rattle?

  • Allen Sparks
    Message 1 of 6 , May 30 11:32 AM
      John,

      I beleive all your hearing is the backlash in the
      spline when using the large fly cutter, typicly you
      will hear this noise untill the cutter has two or more
      teeth cutting. it's not a big deal almost all mill's
      can make this noise when starting in to a cut.

      Put a very light coat of thick grease on the spline,
      be advised it will spin any excess off.

      Sparky

      --- John <moran03@...> wrote:
      > I recently got a Homier 03988, the RF30 clone. I
      > have noticed a mild
      > rattling sound from the spindle pulley area since
      > new but recently
      > have been using the large face mill which came with
      > the mill and find
      > that the rattling is much louder when using it.
      >
      > There is some play in the spline so I squirted some
      > oil around the
      > spline and this stopped the rattling temporarily but
      > it returned
      > after a few minutes use.
      >
      > I haven't taken the quill apart and would prefer to
      > avoid doing so if
      > possible. The manual doesn't indicate whether the
      > spline should be
      > lubed nor what type of lube to use.
      >
      > Does the rattling indicate a serious problem or
      > should I spray some
      > white lithium grease into the spline and ignore the
      > rattling?
      >
      > John

      http://messenger.yahoo.com/
    • John
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2004
        Thanks to all for the advice on my spindle rattle. I lowered the
        cutter to the limit and put a layer of grease into the shaft then
        raised the spline through it; then repeated this cycle a couple of
        times. This seemed to reduce the rattle but didn't eliminate it.

        I also loosened the belt shield and inserted padding between it and
        the head to ensure that this wasn't a source -- this didn't seem to
        help.

        Then I checked the large LH nut just above the pulley and found that
        it was loose - I don't have a wrench to fit so I snugged it up with
        some very large pliers. I couldn't apply much torque because I simply
        held the pulley with my other hand. However, it eliminated the
        rattling!!! I don't know how tight this nut should be -- it would be
        easy to lower the head and put a steel plate vertically between a T
        slot and the drive slot in the spindle to allow tightening if there
        is a torque spec available.

        I don't know if this nut is responsible for bearing pre-load but the
        bearings on my machine don't seem to generate much heat.

        I have been making tool holders for my QCTP from mild steel. This
        entailed reducing the raw material thickness over a 1.5x3 area so I
        used the big face mill. I took cuts of 0.015 per pass at 375 rpm;
        heavier cuts increased the rattling and cuts of 0.005 essentially
        eliminated it. The rattling seemed to be due to the interrupted
        nature of the cut. I will try heavier cuts now that the rattle
        source has been fixed.

        I don't understand how the calculation of desired speed = 325 was
        done. As a new owner, I guess at speeds and would welcome a more
        rigorous approach.

        Again, thanks for all the help. Life is better without the quill
        rattling.

        John