9839Re: Milling vise size for a RF-45 type machine?

  • Torsten
    Apr 3, 2004
      A 4." Vise is a good fit for the machine.
      A 5." Vise is a good compromise when you
      prefer the ability to hold bigger pices but
      will slightly reduce Y-travel and Z-clearance.
      A 6." Vise is very extreme for this machine
      unless the parts you plan to hold require this
      size Vise or you allready own one I would not
      recommend it as the primary Vise.
      You will trade a significant reduction on Y-travel
      and Z-clearance for the ability to hold larger parts.
      If you can visit a store and have them put a vise of
      the size you want on just to see what it looks like.
      It will be very obvious.
      Good Luck

      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "ilyashor" <shor@s...> wrote:
      > Greetings the Enlightened ones,
      > What size milling vise would you use on a RF-45 dovetail column
      > machine (Rong Fu RF-45, DM-45 from Penn Tool, Grizzly G0519,
      > ZAY7045FG from Lathemaster, etc.)?
      > Does the "bigger is better" rule work here, too?
      > Any specific features/brands you would recommend or avoid?
      > I am about to buy one of these machines and necessary accessories.
      > Thanks in advance,
      > -Ilya.
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic