9071Re: Bench Knee & Vertical Mills

  • Michael McBroom
    Feb 1, 2004
      Rick,

      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "sweptvolume" <rdmp@a...> wrote:
      > I recently joined this group to learn more about the compact Chinese
      > & Taiwanese mill/drills. So far, it appears that most have a higher
      > regard for the geared head dovetail mill drills due the higher
      > precision inherent in the dovetail design. Examples are the
      > Wholesale Tool 3006-0080, Grizzly G0519, Rong Fu 45, Enco 325-5184
      > and probably a few I've yet to discover.

      Back in September I bought the WT model 3080 (labeled "ZX7045"). Fit
      and finish is better than I anticipated. I decided on the dovetail
      column design because I plan to retrofit it for CNC someday, and I
      believe the dovetail columm is best for that purpose. As the others
      have mentioned, the 8x30s are of rather limited capacity, plus with
      the vertical round column mill drills, whenever you raise or lower the
      head, you have to retram the mill. Given these limitations, I decided
      against both designs in favor of a dovetail column model.

      Best,

      Michael
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic