      From: sweptvolume [mailto:rdmp@...]
      Sent: 01 February 2004 00:58
      To: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [mill_drill] Bench Knee & Vertical Mills

      I recently joined this group to learn more about the compact Chinese
      & Taiwanese mill/drills.  So far, it appears that most have a higher
      regard for the geared head dovetail mill drills due the higher
      precision inherent in the dovetail design.  Examples are the
      Wholesale Tool 3006-0080, Grizzly G0519, Rong Fu 45, Enco 325-5184
      and probably a few I've yet to discover.

      However, I am also looking at the Taig mini mill and while reading
      through some old messages I learned of bench knee & vertical mills.
      Examples of these are the Grizzly G3102 & G3103 (w/power down feed),
      Penn Tool's Top Tech DM-150 and Wholesale Tools 3004-0095.  The
      individual that referred me to these machines currently owns a geared
      head dovetail mill/drill and was of the opinion that these bench knee
      & vertical mills were a better choice for a greater emphasis on
      milling and a lesser emphasis on drilling (Probably in view of the
      reduced spindle travel associated with the knee/vertical mill
      designs.).

      Can anyone offer insight regarding these bench knee or vertical
      mills?  Does anyone here own one of these or know someone that does?
      I would like to contact owners of these type of machines so I can
      consider these in my current product research efforts.

      In addition to obtaining a good machine I want to make sure it's
      worthy of a cnc retrofit at a later date.  Some of this Chinese and
      Taiwanese iron is not good for this purpose!

      Thanks,

      Rick

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic