36166Re: [MILL_DRILL] New to this group

  • Corey Renner
    Aug 26, 2014
      I had this problem with my mill when I first got it.  It is starved for current when starting up, you can either shorten the wires feeding it, or switch to a heavier gage wire, or do as I did and rewire for 220v which cuts the current draw in half.  Mine was drawing 22a at startup on 110v.

      HTH,

      On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 7:34 PM, bob_estabrook@... [MILL_DRILL] <MILL_DRILL@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Hello all,

      I am new to this group.  I have a ZAY7032G Mill that I bought used a year and a half ago.  It was retailed by HF and is a 2005 model.  The mill works great in all speeds except the highest speed where it will start and then  repeatedly surge and cut out.  I have replaced the start cap and will soon replace the run cap.  Anything else I should be looking at?

      The machine is used regularly on the weekend at the lower speeds and other than the high speed issue, performs very well.  I am fairly new to machining, but am rapidly becoming hooked.  I started with a Jet 9x20 lathe, then the ZAY and then replaced the Jet with a  Rockwell 11x36 lathe.  I don't mind spending a little money on a different mill if the ZAY is not a good choice.  I would prefer to stick with a bench type mill for now as I will be moving across the country in the near future and would prefer not to move a knee mill.

      Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks,

      Bob

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic