      From: "Scott Dunt scott.dunt@... [MILL_DRILL]" <MILL_DRILL@yahoogroups.com>
      To: MILL_DRILL@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, August 18, 2014 5:53 AM
      Subject: Re: [MILL_DRILL] Repairing one of those cheap rotary tables

      Chemical locking agents are good things, especially since heating the parts up will burn the loctite out of the joint so you can take it apart. I use the whole variety green, blue, red and gap filling #660 on projects all of the time.

      Sounds like a belt and suspenders approach to me, which is my usual M.O.
      Scott Dunt

      On 08/18/2014 01:49 AM, Bill NPWBill@... [MILL_DRILL] wrote:

      I'd be hesitant to do anything permanent. Stay with mild steel or stainless, perhaps.

      On 8/17/2014 3:33 PM, Dave Seiter d.seiter@... [MILL_DRILL] wrote:

      I picked up one of those cheap Harbor Freight 4" rotary tables a while back (used), and it worked well for a few small projects, but today the table started turning by itself (the hand wheel was obviously no longer connected).  I took it apart and found that the ring gear was spinning on it's shaft; the pin that was driven through the gear and into the table (it's parallel to the shaft) had sheared off.  The pin was probably mild steel.  If I can remove the rest of the pin, I'll replace it with something like a rollpin, but I was thinking about using a bunch of red loctite to keep the ring in place.

      Thoughts?

      -Dave

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic