36140OffTopic: Mini coax - RG174 + SSMB connectors

  • Scott Dunt
    Aug 16, 2014
      I know totally NON milling, but I was thinking that maybe Jerry Durant
      might have dabbled in this or Rick Sparber might have some advice on
      assembling WiFi - sub miniature coax cable connectors.

      I'm making some cables for personal use, one off one time deal. And the
      cables have SSMB connectors on them and RG 174 coax cable. To give an
      idea of how SMALL this stuff is, the center conductor of the cable is
      .010 the stripped length for the center conductor is .050 And I am
      supposed to somehow solder the wire in place INSIDE of a 90 degree right
      angle connector at measures .150 on the OD, the hole to work through is
      like .090, etc.

      The parts are SO small, that I am looking at them under a microscope
      with 15x lenses. This looks like work for dental picks. How or where can
      I get a soldering iron tip small enough to work that?

      I am almost wondering if I can tin the end of the wire, and glue it into
      place? IN many ways the ground braid is what mechanically holds the
      wire in place, it uses a crimp ferrule, etc.

      Any one play with this kind of stuff before? What worked? What failed?

      --
      Scott Dunt
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic