      From: Rgsparber <rgsparber@...>
      To: "MILL_DRILL@yahoogroups.com" <MILL_DRILL@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Sunday, February 2, 2014 10:34 AM
      Subject: Re: [MILL_DRILL] how to drill deep holes

      This is turning into a rather useful collection of pointers. Maybe I'll turn it into an article with a rather large Acknowledgement section.

      Keep those ideas coming!

      Rick

      On Feb 2, 2014, at 10:35 AM, Bill <bill_1955@...> wrote:

      I drill a lot of long holes for grease passages in cylinder pins.

      Start with a spotter, then a jobber length, and then to a 6” or 8”, sometimes a 12”. About all the long holes I do are 3/16” in diameter. A few are 1/8”, but are 3” L or less. Pins are 4140/4142 Q&T.
      The deeper you get, the more you need to pull the bit out, clean the chips, and give it another shot of lube.
      The hole in the long pins in the pic are about 5-1/2̶ 1; L. I always take a peak in the cross drilled hole when I’m done, to see if I wandered at all. I have had that happen a bit a few times, nothing extreme, but it’s always caused by a dull bit, not cleaning the flutes often enough, and/or being in a hurry and crowding the bit. Best to take one’s time…..

      Bill