35316Re: [MILL_DRILL] how to drill deep holes

  • Rgsparber
    Feb 2, 2014
      Stewart,

      Your "normal procedure" is news to me but then I'm mostly self/internet taught.

      Say I have a 1/2" drill with 3" of flute. I drill down 3 diameters so am at 1.5". Then what?

      What I've always done is drill until the chips stop freely flowing out the flutes. Then I back out the drill, clean out the flutes, and go back in. In other words, "peck".

      Rick

      > On Feb 2, 2014, at 5:55 AM, lists <Stuartlists@...> wrote:
      >
      > In article <1391314173.63870.YahooMailNeo@...>,
      > Tom Curlee <tcurlee@...> wrote:
      >> - Start the hole with a center drill.
      >> - Drill the hole with a short shank drill (screw machine bit?).
      >> - Deepen the hole with a normal length bit.
      >> - Finish the hole with a long shank or spade bit.
      >
      > That is the normal procedure. When you've used your "long" bit you move to
      > the "extra long" series.
      >
      > Interestingly, anything deeper than three times the drill diameter is
      > considered a "deep" hole", though I think most of us would cheerfully
      > drill almost to full flute depth without much thought.
      >
      > --
      > Stuart Winsor

      > Yahoo Groups Links

    • Show all 28 messages in this topic