35314Re: [MILL_DRILL] how to drill deep holes

  • Rick Sparber
    Feb 2, 2014
      Corey,

      Just starting an interesting thread.

      Thanks,

      Rick

      On Feb 1, 2014, at 2:18 PM, Corey Renner <vandal968@...> wrote:

      Rick,
      what are you trying to accomplish?

      cheers,

      On Sat, Feb 1, 2014 at 1:55 PM, Rick Sparber <rgsparber@...> wrote:

      This is a spin off thread from one on reaming deep holes.

      I suppose I could turn the shank down, turn an extension with an OD slightly smaller than the hole, and pin the two together. Never done it.

      I know there are gun drills that can drill very straight holes of any depth but that is way beyond my tool set. It takes a lot more than just a different drill bit:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_drill

      In some cases, it would be possible to mill a slot and then close up the top. Then you could get a boring bar in there to round it out.

      What do others do?