35309Re: [MILL_DRILL] how to drill deep holes

  • CS Mo
    Feb 1, 2014
      I have a friend who is a Class 10 FFL (can manufacture most types of firearms/destructive devices..etc). I know he used to gun drill shotgun barrels (up to 26" long) on an older Monarch lathe - if I remember correctly the lathe is/was 16x40 or 16x50. Ultimately he found it more cost effective to buy barrel blanks, but they're not always available for restorations. However, it is definitely doable on fairly common machinery, with the correct drill(s). The real problem is rifling...

      <http://www.sterlinggundrills.com/>

      Never tried to use one for machining, but in my other life I used to do a lot of network installations. I've used 3' long 1/8-3/8" drills from Home Depot (or equivalent) to drill holes for wiring. However, those holes A) don't actually go through a lot of thickness - you might use one to go through several joists, but mostly you're cutting air and B) they don't need to be very straight....

      --CS

      >This is a spin off thread from one on reaming deep holes.
      >

      >I suppose I could turn the shank down, turn an extension with an OD slightly
      >smaller than the hole, and pin the two together. Never done it.
      >

      >I know there are gun drills that can drill very straight holes of any depth
      >but that is way beyond my tool set. It takes a lot more than just a
      >different drill bit:
      >

      >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_drill
      >

      >In some cases, it would be possible to mill a slot and then close up the
      >top. Then you could get a boring bar in there to round it out.
      >

      >What do others do?
      >

      >Rick

    • Show all 28 messages in this topic