35307how to drill deep holes

  • Rick Sparber
    Feb 1, 2014

      This is a spin off thread from one on reaming deep holes.

      I suppose I could turn the shank down, turn an extension with an OD slightly smaller than the hole, and pin the two together. Never done it.

      I know there are gun drills that can drill very straight holes of any depth but that is way beyond my tool set. It takes a lot more than just a different drill bit:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_drill

      In some cases, it would be possible to mill a slot and then close up the top. Then you could get a boring bar in there to round it out.

      What do others do?