34571RE: Jet-16 Odd Size Column Bolts

  • cwz23t
    Nov 7, 2013

      I tried emailing a response, but I guess it didn't work.

      My bad... I misunderstood the original post.  I have not replaced a base bolt, but instead the upper column bolts which are large "through" bolts.  I can pull a base bolt from mine to see if I can identify it if that would help.  Let me know,

      Curt

      ---In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, <jdurand@...> wrote:

      I've run into odd bolts on my mill, SAE head and metric threads.  Or was it the other way?  Metrish or Engtric bolts.  Designed by a political committee.

      On 11/07/2013 05:59 AM, mayo3013@... wrote:

      Dustin/Curt,

      I'm a little confused. does this bolt go into a tapped hole? or does it through bolt? if it goes into a tapped hole Curt how could it be metric and you used a 5/8s? and if it through bolts Dustin why would thread pitch matter. Whatam I missing here

      ---In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, <cwz23t@...> wrote:

      Mine is an early 80's model, with the pivoting spindle crank.  You can see photos of it in the gallery under  "Curt's Jet mill/drill".

      Curt

      ---In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, <cwz23t@...> wrote:

      My Jet mill has metric bolts.  I replaced one column bolt with a new 5/8" (I think) bolt and it fit perfectly.  I haven't tried to flex mine, so I can't help you with that.

      Curt

      ---In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, <dustin@...> wrote:

      In an effort to stiffen my Jet-16's column I decided to replace the
      bolts mounting the column to the base. The problem is, I can't seem to
      find any bolts the same size. As far as I can tell they are 1/2"-12,
      not 1/2-13. Whats even more strange is the bolt's head takes a 10mm
      allen key. I've found other strange bolts on this machine as well.
      Anyone else had luck replacing the column mounting bolts?

      As far as I can tell with a dial test indicator, there is very little
      flex in the column itself. The flex seems to originate at the piece
      mounting the column to the base. I'd be interested in peoples insight
      as to where the flex may be and how to fix it. I'm thinking about
      making some sort of brace to tie the base and column together better.

      Dustin Keys

      tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
      Skype:  jerrydurand

    • Show all 103 messages in this topic