      From: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com [mailto:mill_drill@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of CS Mo
      Sent: Friday, November 01, 2013 12:08 PM
      To: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [mill_drill] RE: new article available: Avoiding Mill Head Repositioning

      I have a Bison ER40 set.. I don't use it much since I moved to the Comet, but on my RF40, I found that the ER40 with end mills and a drill chuck with screw machine drills pretty much resolved all of my head repositioning requirements. Basically, the ER40 has about the same stack height as a drill chuck and the screw machine drills are similar in length to the end mills I'd use, so tool-height remained similar regardless of tool.

      If I had one of these:

      <http://www.tools4cheap.net/proddetail.php?prod=er40plate>

      I'd use it on the lathe over 5C collets. Hmm. For $56 why don't I have one of those???

      I also use quite a few ER11 and ER16 collet chucks with 1/2" shanks - I find that with smaller end mills (1/16"-1/4") they help with tool lengths.

      --CS

      >Craig,
      >
      >Thanks! I plan to buy the set.
      >
      >Rick
      >
      >> On Nov 1, 2013, at 12:07 AM, "Craig E. Johnston" <k7cej@...> wrote:
      >>

      >> Rick:
      >> I bought a set of ER40 collets and an R8 adaptor from tools4cheap.net
      >for $150. They are beautifully finished, have a runout of <<.001 (on
      >the same order as the spindle runout on my lathe and better than my
      >mill) and I use them all of the time. I made a 1 ? x 8 chuck for the
      >lathe (with a 1" thru hole and have a face-plate type chuck that I am
      >adapting to my rotary table. These are indispensable tools for me and I
      >have absolutely no regrets. (Photos of the lathe spindle chuck can be
      >found on the 10x22 group here.) I don't own any R-8 collets, although I
      >do occasionally use R-8 mill holders. Mostly, though, I use the er-40
      >collets. They have never slipped on me.
      >> Craig

    • Show all 44 messages in this topic