      Craig,

      Thanks!  I plan to buy the set.

      Rick

      On Nov 1, 2013, at 12:07 AM, "Craig E. Johnston" <k7cej@...> wrote:

      Rick:

      I bought a set of ER40 collets and an R8 adaptor from tools4cheap.net for $150.  They are beautifully finished, have a runout of <<.001 (on the same order as the spindle runout on my lathe and better than my mill) and I use them all of the time.  I made a 1 ¾ x 8  chuck for the lathe (with a 1” thru hole and have a face-plate type chuck that I am adapting to my rotary table.  These are indispensable tools for me and I have absolutely no regrets.  (Photos of the lathe spindle chuck can be found on the 10x22 group here.)  I don’t own any R-8 collets, although I do occasionally use R-8 mill holders.  Mostly, though, I use the er-40 collets.  They have never slipped on me.

      Craig

      From: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com [mailto:mill_drill@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Rick Sparber
      Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2013 5:24 PM
      To: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [mill_drill] RE: new article available: Avoiding Mill Head Repositioning

      Rick R,

      I’m all for end mill holders but mostly because I’ve had end mills pull from my low cost R8 collets.

      Those ER-40 collets sure do look nice. But a no name, unknown runout set cost more than $220 on eBay. I saw prices up around $800 for some sets. A bit too rich for my blood… I read the suggestion about making adapters for drills that fit the standard R8 collets. Sounds like a reasonable solution.

      Rick S