      From: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com [mailto:mill_drill@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Druid Noibn
      Sent: Friday, July 05, 2013 4:49 AM
      To: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [mill_drill] Re: Grizzly G1006 Reversing drum switch

      Hi All,

      Just a small point to add to the dicussion.

      I have and love the VFDs - they work great.  Not all VFDs will work well with 1-phase input, some have to be derated.  Also for small motors, there are VFDs that will work on 120VAC 1-phase and output 220VAC 3-phase.

      If you have a situation where you need to push the motor a bit, the usual approach is to use a larger VFD, e.g., use a 1.5 or 2.0HP VFD for a 1.0 HP motor.  The reason for this is that while most VFDs have overload capability, the % overload and duration may be too little for the application.  Of course, this may not apply to our needs.

      My mill/drill runs on 220VAC 1-phase with a VFD.  One of my lathes has a VFD with 120VAC input and soon, I'll hook-up a 120VAC VFD to my other lathe.

      Be well,

      DBN