      From: Mario <mariol.vitale@...>
      To: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, June 30, 2013 10:02 PM
      Subject: [mill_drill] Der Meister

      Rick,
      Yes, so it would seem... but just imagine, as the gage start to compress because of the friction at the "free end" what keeps the "stationary end" from reacting (and moving) in the opposite direction?.... and that is assuming everything is happening in ONE plane!?!?
      Please don't take this as a challenge to your theory. I am only pointing out that sometimes the "real world" get's a little more complicated, and maybe Günther has experienced these 'real world complications' more than some of us amateurs.
      By the way, I could not agree more with your questioning the old world authoritative, autocratic approach to teaching.... I agree that encouraging learning is far mor productive than demanding it!

      Günther,
      Whenever someone insists they are NOT an expert (meister), I tend to listen. It is the ones who insist they ARE an expert that I tend to question. The title is not always reflective of the insight.
      When I was a young engineer, a few years out of college, I found myself, on second shift, on the shop floor of one of the world largest, most modern machine shops in the world. We were building the detail parts for the first F-15. I was called down to one of the layout tables because the lead machinist was about to machine the first F-15 centerline pylon fitting, and had some questions about the blueprint (yes, I said BLUEPRINT!) This was a part that would have taken a full week to machine on a modern 5 axis machining center (not to mention the months of programming time), that was so complex that the designer felt compelled to put a tri-metric view of the part just above the title block so people would have an idea of what this part should look like!
      When I got to the layout table I saw, sitting on this 3ft. x 6 ft. granite surface plate, a 6 page J size blueprint and a 12" x 16" x 28" hand forged titanium billet, painted blue with Dykem with a bunch of scribe lines on it, and a Brown &Sharpe height gage.
      I was introduced to a wonderful gentleman who had been thru the apprentice program, spent his time as a journeyman and then spent more time than I had been on this earth, as an "all around machinist" laying out and machining complex machined parts..... and he was going to ask ME some questions about how to interpret the drawing, because I was "The Engineer" !?!?
      Fortunately, I immediately realized that he was a heck of a lot smarter than I was, so together, over the next several weeks, we got that part made. And while I did answer a few of his questions, I learned a hell of a lot more from him than he did from me!!!

      As Rick says, "all of us is are lot smarter than any one of us" !!!
      Mario

      AttachmentsRe: [mill_drill] Digest Number 4346.eml Download All
      Delete Reply Reply to All Forward Move Spam Actions Next Previous

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic