33444Re: [mill_drill] Spectacular motor failure

  • Druid Noibn
    Jun 15, 2013
      Hi Craig,

      Sorry to hear about the exploding cap.

      Leeson does make a metric motor - check both the mounting and shaft diameter - sometimes they do not match-up.

      Yes, I did replace my 1ph system with a US 3ph 56C mount motor - heads up - I made an adapter flange, spacers and a adapter/extension to connect the motor shaft to the system. What the heck, I have a Grizzly mill/drill and a lathe.... It works quite well, but most won't wish to go through that stuff.

      OK and alternate - call Grizzly and maybe other folks selling the same series mill/drill and see what they have as a replacement 3ph motor. For instance, Grizzly has gearhead systems with 3ph motors - check the manuals and/or call their tech support - see if they can give you advice.

      Also check eBay - I did find metric motors - sometimes folks want a bit of money and I'm...frugal. The system here uses eBay acquired materials and my labor...I'm still frugal.

      Let all know what you find out.

      Be well,
      DBN