      From: Jerry Durand <jdurand@...>
      Subject: Re: [mill_drill] odd way to describe threads
      To: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, May 6, 2013, 2:19 AM

      On 05/05/2013 10:55 PM, Craig E. Johnston wrote:

      Re the pipe threads:  some metric pipe threads are very close to NPT sizes – the coolant nipple on my RF-45 clone table was slightly different diameter than 3/8” NPT, but the threads were almost the same.  Since the nipple was in the way of the x-axis glass scale, I turned a (metric threaded) plug to close it off and drilled and tapped a ¼ NPT hole in a better location.

      I have also had the experience of buying plumbing fittings in New Zealand to work with American NPT fittings on my boat, and found that they were almost  the same.  Up to about ½” I could mate them, but larger sizes simply didn’t go together.

      A wise old friend, who at the time was building his own 38’ sailboat, once commented that “plumbing really sucks…”

      My wife used to work in a steel shop (designer and fabricator).  They once got in a shipment of steel from the EU and it was ALMOST the right inch size.  It was off just enough that it would jamb the shear in the hydraulic iron worker.  So that entire load had to be cut on the band saw.

      tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
      Skype:  jerrydurand
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic