      From: Rexarino <rexarino@...>
      To: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 11:35 PM
      Subject: Re: [mill_drill] Re: Looking for Jet-16 Mill/Drill Owners - many questions

      snip
      > > 4) One recommendation for tightening collets suggested 1/4 turn after
      > > the drawbar snugs up. In your experience is this adequate for holding
      > > end mills such that they don't climb out of the collet or should I
      > > always use end mill holders instead of collets?
      >
      > These are relatively light duty mills. IMHO, any job with enough vibration to suck an end mill out of a collet has pushed the performance envelope too far.
      > I wouldn't recommend dedicated EM holders. These bench top mills don't have too much rigidity. I think an R-8 collet will allow you to choke up with the least overhang better than a dedicated EM holder.

      I have had an endmill creep out of a collet and ruin 2 hours work - because light cuts take longer and provide more opportunity for the endmill to creep.  I now only use dedicated EM holders without difficulty - and I can take heavier cuts.
      There is always one side that says "use collets" and another that says "EM holders".  You get to choose what to do on your machine.
      Rex

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic