      Well, as I work manually, all the different aspects reduce to what sounds and feel right when I do the cut, vibrations, sound of motor etc. I should perhaps reformulate my question:

      I do a cut with the maximum depth that feels right. If I then do two cuts, each with half the cutting depth of the first cut I will remove the same amount of material. Which way is less dulling of the cutting edges of the mill? Two cuts with half dept or one cut with full depth?

      Goran

      On 2012-11-27 10:00, Robert Broughton wrote:

      Before you get to max depth of cut, you need to look at both rigidity and power at the spindle (it is about 50 to 70% of the motor's rated power) to make sure you can remove the amount of material for your setup. Then you will need to look at the material you are cutting. As part of the rigidity, you will need to use the largest diameter end mill you can use for the project (and that your machine can still drive) because the larger the diameter, the more rigid the tool bit will be. Another factor is the type of end mill you are using as HSS is able to deflect more than Carbide. Finally, the greater the depth of cut, the greater the end mill deflection to the point that the end mill will finally break.

      Being manual control, you probably want to err on the side of caution as you can inadvertently feed the machine faster than you were expecting.

      Hopefully this gives you an idea of what you are looking at in your question.
      Bob