32057Re: Bit life in steel

  • brianpimm@rocketmail.com
    Nov 23, 2012
      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "mattdbartlett" <mattdbartlett@...> wrote:

      > I don't have any experience with SGS. It's probably better than the unmarked import mills in any case.
      >
      > You're using flood coolant, is it a good stream? IE, can you tell if chips are being flushed effectively? I also find it a little strange that you are using a waterline with a square end mill. Waterline is usually used on profiled surfaces, the kind of thing you would use a ball mill for. I don't have much experience with different cam software though, so that could just be the way that Meshcam does things. In AlibreCAM for example, I would use a profile pass with a square end mill.

      Yes it's a good stream, I have trouble containing the spray, ;) I'm using the waterline finish pass to minimize the amount of material removed, if I use the roughing pass it cuts the path twice as wide for clearance, but half of that is full width cutting anyway and I'm just cutting out a part from flat stock. A CNC Plasma table would be a better fit but I have the mill. There is 1 place where the thickness is milled down but it's a small area compared to the whole part. Plus Meshcam is a 3D program and I'm fudging it use it as a 2D.

      1 part was 270" of full width cut so 4 would be 1080" @ .020 deep. If I bump up the depth of cut it would shorten the length of cut. Gwizzard seemed to want .062 deoth of cut but I was afraid to try it, to many broken end mills in the pile. :(

      > I can't give you a number for how long these things should last, as I have never worn an end-mill out, I always break them before that happens ;)
      >
      > One thing you might try, especially if you are removing lots of material, is a roughing end mill. They should let you take a deeper pass, with less chatter.
      >
      > Another thing you can do is to take a look at the end mills with a magnifier and see if they are really dull, or if you are chipping the cutting edge. This is more common with carbide than HSS, but I have done it to my fair share of HSS tools too.

      It looks dull to me, here are some comparison pics of new and worn, and the part in question.

      Dull End mill Pic
      http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m57/bdpimm/Mill/IMG_6101.jpg

      New End mill Pic
      http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m57/bdpimm/Mill/IMG_6100.jpg