3156Noise

  • leasingham_connelly
    Aug 1, 2002
      UK regulations concerning noise in the workplace are given at
      http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg127.htm . As an engineer who has to
      apply these rules and others as part of my work I use a simple rule
      in the case of noise. If you need to raise you voice to have a
      conversation with someone at a distance of 1m (40") then you are
      probably over 85dB and need to take action of some sort to avoid
      hearing damage. The problem with noise is that sudden changes in
      noise levels are noticed but gradual increases are not, also the
      effects of noise damage to hearing is cumulative. By the time you
      know there is a problem it is too late. I also belive that if you are
      blind you will get sympathy but if you are deaf you get treated like
      an idiot; it's best to keep safe and keep both eyes and ears
      protected at all times.

      I have produced a safety booklet for use in the department of the
      works I provide engineering support for. This contains safety
      information and guidance for those employed here. In order to
      encourage people to carry it it also contains useful information such
      as tapping drill sizes, conversion factors, drill speeds and feeds
      etc. It is available as a 403kb PDF file for Acrobat if anyone wants
      a copy.

      Martin Connelly