31416Re: End mill question

  • clumsysoftballerz
    Jun 2, 2012
      If you really want to save some money and get great finish on Aluminum try Data Flute ARF & AFI series end mills. I used to use Niagara High Helix 2 flute EM on aluminum, but had a tendency to chip a tooth or full pretty fast. After a few weeks I would get chatter unless I started dropping my feed rates.

      On the recommendation of a local supplier when I needed a 1/8" long reach for aluminum I tried Data Flute. The ARF (Aluminum Rougher Finisher) I ordered with it (.375" bright) blew me away. I never put stock into carbide em since I only have 4000 rpm... WOW. Conventional milling at 20%+ higher feeds have me a better surface finish than climb cuts with Niagara HSS cutters. So far it hasn't chipped and its been almost 3 months of usage. Around $30 for the cutter (ARF20375) and I normally would have used 2 maybe 3 $15 Niagara cutters in that time.

      The AFI (Aluminum Finisher) series are 3 flute and the finish looks like glass when conditions are right. I learned for pockets though to finish the walls .001 off the floor so it is ONLY side cutting and it prevents circular witness marks on the floor.

      Needless to say I love data flute now. Use your goole-fu to do a little research and you'll see a lot of others swear by them too.

      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Curtis J Blank <Curt.Blank@...> wrote:

      > LOL Not a chance now, you just gave me a use for them, and thanks for that!
      >
      > I've been making some jigs lately (and have to remake one due to a
      > design change) that have square holes in them. So I've been roughing out
      > the holes using a 1/4" EM and leaving 0.010" for the final cut and I've
      > noticed the cuts were a bit bigger using the 4 flute. Didn't matter
      > because of the 0.010' I left for the 1/4" EM and the holes were bigger
      > then 1/4". Then after that the real real finish cut is then done with a
      > 1/8" EM taking off 0.001" and to get the corner radius down to 1/16"
      >
      > But, on the new jig I have to cut a 13mm slot maybe 1-1/4" long with
      > 6.5mm radius on either end so I just got a 4 flute 13mm end mill to do
      > that. I was going to rough it out again and still will, but now I think
      > I'll be ordering a 2 flute 13mm EM for the finish cut.
      >
      > Thanks.
      >
      > On 06/01/12 19:51, Corey Renner wrote:
      > >

      > > 2-flute is better when chip evacuation is an issue, the most-extreme
      > > scenario is when making a slot that is the width of the endmill
      > > itself. A 2-flute EM will make a slot pretty-close to on-size, a 4fl
      > > will tend to deflect and make an oversized cut that is biased to one
      > > side. This knack for slotting is also why 2fl EM's are sometimes
      > > called "slot drills". If you still can't find a use for them, you can
      > > send them to me :)
      > >
      > > cheers,
      > >
      > > On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 5:17 PM, Curtis J Blank
      > > <Curt.Blank@... <mailto:Curt.Blank@...>> wrote:
      > >
      > > Well, cutting tool question I guess, ball end, radius, etc.
      > >
      > > 2 flute verses 4 flute. I tend to buy and use 4 flute cutters
      > > exclusively. I have 2 flute end mills but only because they came
      > > in sets
      > > I purchased.
      > >
      > > So I guess the question is why 2 flute? When would a 2 flute end
      > > mill be
      > > preferable to use over a 4 flute end mill? Or does it come down to
      > > cost?

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic